Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Kaner3339

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm loving ADAPT so far after using it for just 3 days.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 PM
CAS

Studying for CPCU 553
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiaaaa View Post
Was your 2nd attempt easier than your first attempt? Obviously you were more prepared in your 2nd attempt, but in general I'd like to learn about the volatility in difficulty of the exam questions.
I really can't say, because I was so underprepared on my first run through, that I had no clue how to even begin approaching some of the problems. I would have to actually go back and see the problems again to be able to tell you if they were harder or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgao View Post
How long your prepared for 1st and 2nd attempt?
I actually spent more time preparing for the first attempt than the second, since I remembered a lot of material from the first time around and just needed a quick review before spending a bunch of time on ADAPT. I didn't keep track of hours, but I want to say it was about 2.5 months studying for the first attempt, and 1.5 months on the second.
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Toronto Alumni

do you get ADAPT when you purchase the following?
I bought it but have not logged in online yet.

http://www.actuarialbookstore.com/

ASM/Coaching Actuaries DELUXE ELECTRONIC Study Manual for MFE/ CAS 3F - 180 Day Access [Electronic/ NO RETURNS] includes printed copy of latest ASM manual NEW EDITION
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 AM
SOA AAA

This page gives you what's included with each Coaching Actuaries product.

http://www.coachingactuaries.com/Exa...Economics.aspx
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaknight14 View Post

I definitely second this. Many of the exam questions looked almost identical to problems I saw in ADAPT.

I just aced MFE and I can tell you what my strategy was. I made sure I finished going through whatever study guide(s) I was using 30 days prior to the exam. Then I purchased a 30-day ADAPT subscription and did a full 30-problem practice exam every day. To get the most of out of this strategy, I treated every practice exam like it was the real thing. Always stuck to the 3-hour time limit. No graphing calculators or any other calculators except those that would be allowed on the real exam. And no notes. I'll say that again because it's important: NO NOTES. It's hard as hell at first, but after enough practice you start to get used to the way the exam flows and the earned level starts to go up fast. Once I got beyond an earned level of 7 I stopped doing exams every single day and switched to a "whenever it's convenient" schedule (which ended up being about every 2 days, occasionally 3). At this point increasing my level wasn't so important, it was just about keeping in the groove of the exam while still challenging myself with tough questions. I kept this up until about three days or so before the exam, at which point I went back to doing an exam every day, but instead of working at my earned level I did custom exams at level 5 or 6 since these are the most similar to the real exam.

I can tell you that after going through this process the actual exam felt incredibly easy, and this is coming from someone who failed miserably on his first attempt (without ADAPT), and never even had an ASM guide to look at.
This is the best advice on this thread. Adopt this strategy and you will be in a prime position to pass any preliminary you take.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitslove_08 View Post
do you get ADAPT when you purchase the following?
I bought it but have not logged in online yet.

http://www.actuarialbookstore.com/

ASM/Coaching Actuaries DELUXE ELECTRONIC Study Manual for MFE/ CAS 3F - 180 Day Access [Electronic/ NO RETURNS] includes printed copy of latest ASM manual NEW EDITION
The product you listed in your post does not include ADAPT.

Last edited by TC_Salt; 06-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM
SOA

A couple of questions:

1) On average, I encounter about 2 - 3 theoretical problems in ADAPT exams. Do we have that many theoretical problems in the actual exam? What do you guys think to be the best ways to deal with theoretical problems?

2) Some of the problems very algebra-intense. How likely will these problems appear in the actual exam? Many of these problems are quite straightforward, but solving the algebra is the time-consuming part.

3) I heard that the actual thing is close to ADAPT level 4 - 6. When people ADAPT level 4 - 6, do they mean earned level or the difficulty level of the problems?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM

College: Veteran: Airborne Infantry
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Boston Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiaaaa View Post
A couple of questions:

1) On average, I encounter about 2 - 3 theoretical problems in ADAPT exams. Do we have that many theoretical problems in the actual exam? What do you guys think to be the best ways to deal with theoretical problems?

2) Some of the problems very algebra-intense. How likely will these problems appear in the actual exam? Many of these problems are quite straightforward, but solving the algebra is the time-consuming part.

3) I heard that the actual thing is close to ADAPT level 4 - 6. When people ADAPT level 4 - 6, do they mean earned level or the difficulty level of the problems?
1) There usually are 2 to 3 theoretical problems (kind of) on the real thing (at least the one I took last year). Best way to deal withthem is to understansd what the methods you learned are actually doing. Meaning, understand the method and purpose for the specific topics. The reason I said "kind of" is because the SOA has a way of giving calculation type problems that you have to know at a theoretical type level. Meaing they will have a problem that will not blatently say what type of problem it is, or what method to use, but set it up in a way that if you know the material well, you will be able to reason what they are asking.
2) Yes there are algebra heavy problems on all the prelims....I usually explain to people that the actuarial exams are algebra tests.
3) I would say more along the lines of a 6-7
Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 PM
SOA

Using ADAPT from here on out to take practice exams. Trying to get to an earned level of a 6 at minimum, that way I can head into the exam with some confidence
Old 11-10-2013, 05:35 PM

I have a bad habit with Adapt I can't seem to break. I start an exam and bail out after not coming up with a few answers or not understanding what the wording of a problem is asking for. I end up just going over the problems, trying then out then seeing if my answer is correct. I know I need the discipline to stay on one exam for 3 hours but knowing the answer (that I don't have) is only a couple clicks away is far too tempting.
Got through one test but can't get much higher than a 3.0. Every problem I got wrong on that test was because of stupid calc. mistakes or not taking the time to read the problem correctly. It's very frustrating. I doubt I'll have any kind of score before the exam next week.
Cranked it up to between 6 and 8 just for the fun of it. First problem required the derivative of a gap call option - and it was an SOA problem! If that was representative of what it will be like on the real test I'm totally screwed.