Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Guessing

Hi,

I'm planning to take the exam in May and have been doing pretty well on the practice tests for P. However, I'm afraid that much of my success is due to guessing-- often when I don't know how to do a problem I can estimate the answer down to two (or even one) answer; sometimes the answer choices just make it blatantly obvious what the correct one is. I've read that the exam questions take a different "form" than the practice ones, so my question is whether these "different" questions might make it harder for me to "guess" the correct answer? Basically, are the real test questions formulated so that if you can't figure out the "correct" method for a problem you will get it wrong?

Sorry for that convoluted paragraph. Any help is much appreciated
Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 PM
SOA

As I just took the real exam yesterday, even though I didn't guess on any of the problems, I can say that most problems were quantitative and the choices were just numbers being close to each other. E.g. The problem asked for the expected value of something, and the choices were like 18.3, 18.5, 18.7, 19.5, 19.7, where 1 was the correct answer; 2 were, I guess, the answers you might get if you made a common mistake; and the other 2 were just to create confusion. I don't think there is a way to guess on such problems. If I couldn't get those and couldn't make an educated guess either, I would just quickly choose one random letter and spend time on other problems which I might be able to figure out or make an educated guess.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM
CAS SOA

College: Florida State University - Senior

I would be a little afraid of getting a job not completing knowing what was going on. I kind of feel that if you don't fully know the information, it's going to manifest when you begin working. Furthermore, in this kind of career it seems that it would be much easier to build with a solid foundation which will cause less stress in the future. I feel like the test should prove that you know the information, not something just to be passed. I mean, on the job you can't really guess.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:01 AM
CAS

I think you have time to learn the material better but it is a good skill to have to be able to estimate and reduce the possibilities. It may not be something to bank on for the exams but it is handy when reviewing others work and catching numbers that don't make sense in reports or presentations.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Non-Actuary

I do think I understand the material, but sometimes the questions are just difficult and I don't intuitively "know" how to solve them. That kind of 18.3, 18.5, 18.7 thing is what I was worried about though so I will definitely make sure I can pass by knowing how to answer twenty one questions and not guessing them right. Thank you very much!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Guinness

Stop guessing. If you don't get a matching answer to the ones provided, don't answer anything and treat it as you left it blank, thus you eliminate the "false right answers". You'll get a score that is more accurate to your confidence in solving problems.

Not to say don't make educated guesses in the heat of the exam.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Non-Actuary

College: University of Illinois alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eringobragh View Post
Stop guessing. If you don't get a matching answer to the ones provided, don't answer anything and treat it as you left it blank, thus you eliminate the "false right answers". You'll get a score that is more accurate to your confidence in solving problems.

Not to say don't make educated guesses in the heat of the exam.
Exactly. I routinely get 100% of the questions I answer right on practice exams. Then, I know I don't have to study those. If I'm not 100% (or at least 90%) certain of the answer, I leave it blank and count it as a miss. I then know I need to study those as if it's a miss.

This strategy doesn't work as well on ADAPT since you always have to answer 75% of the questions to have it graded.