Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-01-2019, 11:54 AM
SOA

I played the first two and loved it. Great pace, combat was fun and smooth, fun crossovers.

I don't know any added storyline from the filler games that came out on portables, so I almost feel like I would be a little lost going from KH2 (maaany years ago) to KH3 now. I think watching a youtube video or two recapping story from 2 to 3 would do the trick though
Old 02-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliere View Post
Sameskies. I remember when KH came out, everyone was absolutely loving it. I don't remember hearing a bad review. I kinda want to play the series if the're that good. I want to look up if the first 2 are available for digital download, if so, i might buy all 3.

Can anyone confirm or deny KH's greatness?
I played the first one back in the day. The premise/world was pretty fun with the mix of disney and square games. The biggest thing I didn't like was the battle system I just found it really boring and repetitive. It's was also a pretty childish story so I never felt that invested but it was fun/silly.

Basically I enjoyed it but not enough to play KH2. I'm a huge rpg fan so the fact that my opinion is a bit lackluster makes me really not understand the hype and maybe I'm missing something. I think if I would have liked the combat it would change the way I felt about the game but combat just felt so boring and simple that I didn't feel the need to play more than one game.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Any Kingdom Hearts fans here? I know nothing about it, but everyone is talking about it.
I enjoyed the first 1. I don't know if it would hold up in this era of fancy graphics and batman dodge-rolls, but yeah it was fun to run around disney with a sword. Levels like Alladin, Alice in Wonderland, and The Nightmare before Christmas. Also felt honestly proud when I beat the optional superboss
Spoiler:
(Sephiroth)

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 02-01-2019 at 06:53 PM..
Old 02-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Hey, if you want cultist simulator-- pm me your steam ID.

I just got an extra copy with humble monthly, and I recommend it, if you're into unique games/atmosphere.

It's made by a Failbetter writer, so it has great atmosphere and writing, and the gameplay is pretty neat, sort of a permadeath card game with no instructions... Though it can be pretty grindy and the UI can kill you sometimes.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 02-01-2019 at 09:13 PM..
Old 02-04-2019, 08:33 AM
CAS

Tried the Anthem demo. Game's no for me. It even told me as much through the multiple pop-ups shaming me for making a private game.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 AM
SOA

Studying for GH Spec

But the "gum on shoe" emote only costs 12 dollars
Old 02-04-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
What are people here thinking about Anthem?

I think it's going to be a huge dumpster fire at launch (2019's Fallout 76), but a guy I play with is defending it tooth and nail saying that last week's issues were just server issues, and all other issues were already known and fixed prior to the demo. I'll admit that I didn't play the "VIP demo", but how do you release a (paid) demo with all these issues if they're already known? I've also read that there was a loading issue making the game literally unplayable, and the same issue exists in Battlefield 5, and has since the game launched. Everything I've heard about the PC version is that it was "a lazy port". I mostly just get my news from headlines, but I've read a few articles and reddit threads, and I'm not optimistic. Has EA shown anything that would make it seem like I'm being too negative?
Before the demo, I thought the game looked boring and not much fun. From what I heard of the demo, it’s really bland and the shooting is just passable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Need a break from Odyssey too. I love it, but I'm in the mood to finish something, then I'll go back to it. Thinking about What Remains of Edith Finch, or maybe King's Quest.
Edith Finch is quite an interesting little game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliere View Post
Sameskies. I remember when KH came out, everyone was absolutely loving it. I don't remember hearing a bad review. I kinda want to play the series if the're that good. I want to look up if the first 2 are available for digital download, if so, i might buy all 3.

Can anyone confirm or deny KH's greatness?
Back in PS2 days, KH 1&2 were fantastic. A few months ago, I bought the PS4 bundle that had them both, and I couldn’t get into them. I have KH3, but won’t play until I finish RE2 fully. I’ve heard the range of, “it’s a ps2 game” to it being great. If you want to jump in, I would just jump into KH3, and maybe watch a lore video (even then, the lore is nuts).
Old 02-04-2019, 10:32 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

I tried the Anthem demo, wasn't really hooked at all. I got really annoyed that whenever I alt tabbed the game would go into windowed mode and I would have to reset settings.

All in all, I think the game has potential but on launch it's gonna be boring. Will probably need a post launch revamping like division or destiny 1 and 2 did.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA

Kind of funny. I'm waiting on Cyberpunk 2077, which is rumored for 4Q 2019, and should be mindblowing from the trailers. I'm about 1/3 through Divinity II, but still find myself faling back to CK 2 and Elite Dangerous: Horizons. I finally have more hours in EDH than Arma 3 now. Made elite trade and exploration, only master in combat though.

Anyone else here play Elite Dangerous regularly?

--with apologies to Dr. Leon Lederman
Old 02-04-2019, 11:38 AM

I played the Anthem demo for a couple of hours. Mostly enjoyable. Frame rate in the city sucked, but on missions seemed ok on low settings. Hopefully they optimize a little better...but probably unlikely at this point.

Gameplay is similar to destiny 2 or warframe. Though I kind of enjoyed Anthem a little more since it seemed like ability cooldowns were a little better (from what I remember).

I might give it a try.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one