Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Advanced
College: SUNY

I was at the Carrier Dome last February for Boeheim's "1000th" win and I can tell you that it matters very little to Orange fans what the NCAA says his win total is.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Yeah, what's the actual punishment? That they have one day of Sports pages in newspapers where the headline is "Louisville (or Syracuse) is bad"?

I assume Louisville can't hang a title banner in the stadium either (or has to take it down). The whole thing is rather silly IMO, vacating wins and titles.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:55 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Yeah, what's the actual punishment? That they have one day of Sports pages in newspapers where the headline is "Louisville (or Syracuse) is bad"?

I assume Louisville can't hang a title banner in the stadium either (or has to take it down). The whole thing is rather silly IMO, vacating wins and titles.
From ESPN story:
Quote:
The NCAA penalties, which were announced on June 15, included the vacation of basketball records in which ineligible student-athletes competed from 2011 to 2015. The school had previously said the penalties would affect 123 victories, including 15 NCAA Tournament wins and the 2013 national title.

The Cardinals also were placed on NCAA probation for four years, which includes scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions, a $5,000 fine and the forfeiture of any money received through conference revenue sharing from the 2012-15 NCAA tournaments. That sum could be as much as $15 million, according to published reports. The Cardinals had already self-imposed a postseason ban for the 2015-16 season.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:03 PM
SOA AAA

Not sure what is "wrong" with having a stripper entertain recruits and the team. Stripping is not illegal, unless she didn't have the proper permits, or unless she took money for sex.

Perhaps there is a "no stripper" rule in the NCAA guidelines?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
From ESPN story:
[...] The Cardinals had already self-imposed a postseason ban for the 2015-16 season.
This is the worst part of the whole thing, the two senior transfers--who came to UofL solely for the chance of playing in the tournament--and the other players on the 2015-16 team that didn't get to play in the postseason because of a pointless self-ban that didn't result in any lessening of penalties. The punishments ultimately handed down (and the ones self-imposed) didn't affect ANYONE guilty of anything. Pitino*, McGee, long gone from the program. But all of the innocent players, assistant coaches, fans, etc. are the ones left holding the bag.

* Just to be clear, I still contend Pitino did nothing wrong in all of this
Old 02-20-2018, 02:11 PM
SOA

Anybody gonna drag out their 2013 brackets and make sure the money gets redistributed appropriately?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Not sure what is "wrong" with having a stripper entertain recruits and the team. Stripping is not illegal, unless she didn't have the proper permits, or unless she took money for sex.

Perhaps there is a "no stripper" rule in the NCAA guidelines?
Nah, there isn't, the NCAA just makes up whatever guidelines it wants, with no precedent. The contention is they were paid for sex, but that's only based on the word of a pathological liar that only cared about selling books.

Even if they were paid, the penalties for such offenses would likely have been a few games of suspension for the players in question. No way it would have affected the overall result of the season, and those players clearly would have been eligible to play in the tournament. It makes no sense.

OTOH, feel free to systemically cheat and fraud the academic system for decades, never cooperate with any investigation, and fight all the charges to the death. That's the only way to come out clean.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Favorite beer: BBC Bourbon Stout

"Still got this fatass ring which means my guys definitely won a chip, if I’m not mistaken of course," Ware tweeted.

Kevin Ware isn't giving up his ring.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:03 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Advanced
College: SUNY

Neither is Pitino.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:48 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Petosky View Post
Yeah, I don't get the whole idea of taking away wins and championships. Everyone knows who won the games and titles. OK, so officially they didn't win...but really they did.

I could see it if like the whole team did some type of cheating that somehow caused them to win the games or if maybe the refs were paid off to give them the games.

Guess UofL should have kept their noses clean stuck with academic fraud.
I'm still repulsed by the NCAA decision to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to UNC. If the argument is that even regular students got fake grades, then they should lose their accreditation. Otherwise, looks like it falls under lack of institutional control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
what's a JAS