Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaprop View Post
I have read through the Can-Do threads. Most of the advice given is not good advice. Some of it has been downright dirigible, but I will refrain. The only person I recall who seemed to have a decent grasp on the assignment was elfueg07.

As an example, the spreadsheet adjustment in question is not appropriate. The "true" decay rate is in G11. The assays do not change the decay rate. The assays are based on an estimate which has a different, lower standard deviation than the one used to develop the "true" decay rate scenarios. Each assay removes 5% of the difference between the estimate and the "true" decay rate.

Mr. F's post is vindictive of the fact that the graders do not expect the project to be understood completely. This is probably because, unlike a real work assignment, you cannot ask questions of people actually involved in the project. Take this to heart, and do your best to defend whatever approach you took. The approach taken seems to matter a lot less.
This is what I thought. I was totally confused by this whole argument about changing the reference.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 PM

College: Ohio State Alumni

Quote:
I have read through the Can-Do threads. Most of the advice given is not good advice. Some of it has been downright dirigible, but I will refrain. The only person I recall who seemed to have a decent grasp on the assignment was elfueg07.
I think your post is the best advice in any of these Can-Do threads. Don't blindly trust other people's posts. Most of them are plain wrong. Others are just stream of conciousness thoughts that shouldn't really be posted for others to read and misinterpret. I found that once I understood how the model worked and how the assumptions flowed through, I was able to skip past many of the posts that were obviously made by people who had not understood the model when they made their post or were still figuring it out.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 PM

College: Ohio State Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
There are posts that suggest that the line "Never change assumptions..." means if you change anything other than that one sheet then it is an autofail. I disagree. I believe that it refers to the "Assumptions" tab, since that also says to not change value on that sheet. Run through the macro, if you change assumptions there then the macro breaks.

The results I got back before making the change didn't fit in the context of the assignment. I actually had something to write about after the change.
I think the only "autofail" criteria is if your submission fails the plagiarism software test. You can misinterpret various parts of the assignment and still pass. Don't assume your interpretations are all correct because you passed. The only necessary condition is that you did enough things well enough according to the grader who read your paper.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Take this to heart, and do your best to defend whatever approach you took. The approach taken seems to matter a lot less.
100% agree.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:54 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin

Quote:
The only person I recall who seemed to have a decent grasp on the assignment was elfueg07.

Hey Thanks! Hopefully the graders agree!
Old 09-20-2014, 11:02 AM
SOA

Default Task 3

Hi, has any used the Coefficient of Variation as a preferred risk metric in calculating the profitably most optimal scenario? I did some research online and it says that the CV becomes slightly inaccurate with negative cash flows.

In my case, all scenario has greater than 0% values of the % end < 0 metric which suggests that there are negative cash flows which are being used in the calculations. Do i mention this as a model weakness and continue? OR not use the metric at all??

Times running out so appreciate help urgently.

Thanks,

Tags
can-do, final assessment