Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Default going all the way

When one goes into the actuarial profession, how important is it to do all the exams?

Can one just pass 2 or 3 or 4 and just work at that level? Or do employers expect all actuarial students to become FCAS or ACAS etc.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:38 PM
SOA AAA

That would be a dead-end career. It would be better at that time to switch to a career path based on work experience and one's own interests (or whatever is open). I've seen students transfer to marketing, finance, underwriting, etc.
Many companies will let you go if you fail too many attempts.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winbacker View Post
Can one just pass 2 or 3 or 4 and just work at that level?
When that happens, often students transition to some of the roles discussed at http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...13&postcount=8
Old 12-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

It's too early in your career to be thinking about quitting exams. Maybe you should reconsider your choice of profession.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM
SOA

An 'actuary' without credentials is not an actuary. In consulting, you see people who take a long time to pass exams (I work with someone with 8 yrs of experience who just got his ASA), but as long as you do good work, and at least make moves toward credentials, you're valued. In insurance, yeah, get those credentials.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
When one goes into the actuarial profession, how important is it to do all the exams?

Can one just pass 2 or 3 or 4 and just work at that level? Or do employers expect all actuarial students to become FCAS or ACAS etc.
The "gap" between career ASA and full FSA seems to be closing, in terms of advancement within a company, compared to years ago. I agree with other poster though, should at least get ASA letters or else most likely better off in another profession.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:02 PM

Favorite beer: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by actexp View Post
Quote:

The "gap" between career ASA and full FSA seems to be closing, in terms of advancement within a company, compared to years ago. I agree with other poster though, should at least get ASA letters or else most likely better off in another profession.
It will start to widen again as the ASA will be easier to get now.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by actexp View Post
The "gap" between career ASA and full FSA seems to be closing, in terms of advancement within a company, compared to years ago.
I'm not seeing that. Depends on the actuarial discipline, the type of employer and the particular situation.

See http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...40&postcount=8
Old 12-08-2006, 01:13 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:

Most companies will at least kick you out of the student program if you stop taking exams. You may get to stay in the department, but you'd be given a different title and I don't think the opportunities for advancement would be all that great. No company wants to hire a "career student".
Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

if you do good work, most places will allow career associates. if you tell them upfront that you will do this, they will view you less favorably (unless your work s stellar).

career student/analyst types exist at every company. but the progression of salary and responsibilities is not nearly as well defined as for those who pass exams.