Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > Foundations of CFE Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Foundations of CFE Exam Old Financial Economic Theory Forum

Old 04-28-2018, 01:04 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM
Default CFE Fall 2018 Discussion

The exam is over, which means it's time to start looking forward to the next one! Let's kick this thing off.

If you are starting (I know some people have gotten an early jump, even without the syllabus being final), welcome to the fight!
If you are planning on starting later, know that it is still two months until the "real" start of study season.
If you just took the exams, we would all love to hear any real-world advice from those in the trenches!

And if you have any questions at all, please let me!

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Spring 2019

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 05-01-2018, 03:26 PM
SOA

Looks like they released the new syllabus, anyone know when they make the new study notes available?
Old 05-01-2018, 08:01 PM
SOA

Here's the new syllabus, as Bob said! I would expect the notes to be available in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2018/f...fd-syllabi.pdf

We've got two new books, Superforecasting and Algorithms to Live By. They look very good! Although I, for one, am DEVASTATED* that we lost Monte Carlo Methods and Stochastic Simulations.

*not, those books were not fun

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 PM
SOA

College: UVA Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
We've got two new books, Superforecasting and Algorithms to Live By. They look very good! Although I, for one, am DEVASTATED* that we lost Monte Carlo Methods and Stochastic Simulations.

*not, those books were not fun
The new books actually do sound interesting! They might help take the edge off having to re-take this exam!* The removal of Monte Carlo Methods and Stochastic Simulations also explains why the exam committee hit those readings hard on the exam this go around as well.

Honestly, the best exam syllabus just got better**

* Nothing takes the edge off having to re-take an exam
** But not by enough that I want to take it again though

Last edited by 110PercentWahoo; 05-01-2018 at 08:24 PM..
Old 05-06-2018, 12:02 PM
SOA

I just finished the introductory study note and they recommended reading the case study before the study materials. Since this is still up from last sitting, is it a worthwhile read or should I look at the study materials available now? I can only really look at the online ones, since I canít order study notes and Iíd like to get all the textbooks at once. Is the case study likely to change significantly for the next sitting?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaccamano View Post
I just finished the introductory study note and they recommended reading the case study before the study materials. Since this is still up from last sitting, is it a worthwhile read or should I look at the study materials available now? I can only really look at the online ones, since I canít order study notes and Iíd like to get all the textbooks at once. Is the case study likely to change significantly for the next sitting?
Let me answer your last one quick, since we won't get that update for a couple of months. In general, the case study is pretty stable over time, with relatively minor structures. I'd put it at probably a 98% probability that we still have the same overall structure, with some sections cut out and placed back in. So, you can probably give it a look over now to get familiar with it.

That said...one of these sittings the SOA is going to pull a curveball on us, so be appropriately warned

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 06-17-2018, 09:29 PM
SOA

Less than one month to go until results come up!

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM
SOA

Exam season is official upon us now!

One thing I like to recommend that EVERYONE do early on in the process is go check out the SOA's Guide to Written Exams. There is a nice overview there, as well as some decent videos that will give you some pointers on how to think about the exam.

Along those lines, I'm pleased to announce that this year, in addition to the Online Seminars usual videos discussing tips for the the exam, I will be doing a deeper dive into what the SOA is looking for in their questions, what are some common mistakes, and how to maximize your points. I will put this out in a month or so, once students start working on our many Mock Exams. Stay tuned!

Good luck as everyone gets going! Stay focused, work hard, and study smart. You can do this!

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 07-17-2018, 03:43 PM
SOA

Default New Sitting - New Material

Hi All,

If you are writing this exam for the first time or you are a returning student feel free to check out our products at www.xpactuarial.com.

I have been teaching this course since 2015 and would love to work with you to get you through this exam.

We currently offer material for all 3 exams in this track and have 3 dedicated instructors that work diligently with the students to assist them towards passing the exams!

Check out our Testimonials page on our website to read some direct student feedback!

The new books on the syllabus are much more qualitative than the past. "Algorithms to Live By" and "Superforecasting" are both very interesting reads. I don't know about you, but dropping that Stochastic Modelling textbook makes the material much more manageable.

Thanks and good luck studying!

CFE Samples:
Study Manual
Video of the Week

ERM Samples:
Study Manual

SDM Samples:
Study Manual
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 PM
SOA

It sounds like Spring 2018 by-questions results have been released! Would anyone who is joining us again for Fall 2018 like to share their results? It can be useful to take a look at these to try to identify where you might be able to improve - whether a certain type of reading is tripping you up, or a certain type of question. One of the best things you can do in the aftermath of the exam is examine how you did and get some advice on how to improve!

www.pakstudymanual.com