Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 AM
SOA

College: Alumni

Welp. I ordered mine in may. Still haven't arrived. One call to SOA later... When I ordered, they were "out of stock", and never filled the order once they had more.

Modules: 1234IA67FA

APC
Old 06-16-2018, 08:38 AM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

I'm in. I'm thinking using TIA since I used it for MLC exam and I passed it on my first attempt. I haven't started to study yet but will do soon.

Btw, I'm working on Regulation and Taxation module right now. Hope to finish it by the end of June so that I can start to study for my first FSA exam.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:51 AM
SOA

College: Eastern Kentucky University Alumni

I'm surprised so many people here haven't started studying yet or are just now starting. I would advise to get started immediately.

I know I started early but I am already very glad I did. There is a huge amount of material here to understand/memorize. Then again, some people here could be much better at retaining and memorizing than me so if that's the case then starting a month or two later may still be okay.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

There are a number of people that have already started, but you probably won't find as much AO traffic here as you might for the prelims. June also tends to see a dip in study chatter since people are in between the highs of the last exam and the results date in July. Our forums heat up considerably in July as people start committing to a firm study schedule more.

As always, if you are starting early, I recommend focusing on concept learning as much as possible since concepts tend to stick in your long-term memory best. I've seen people start with 6+ months and take a mostly memorization approach, only to come up short on the exam, where the questions are increasingly designed to test around a pure list recall approach. In fact, I have some analysis in the online seminar that shows that only about 5% of exam points are based on "list" type questions. Most questions require descriptions, evaluations, assessments, critiques, and of course calculations and interpretations of numerical results.

The key advantage of starting early is that you have more time to learn things, but the key disadvantage of starting early is that you have more time to be at risk for burnout. No matter when you start, it is very important to hit it hard in late August through October, but this is a time when people who start early will be at most risk for fatigue. One way to avoid that is to take breaks throughout the summer. The "marathon" analogy may seem like a cliche, but it is very much like that. Pace matters, so you can finish strong

Also, it is very normal to feel overwhelmed by the enormous amount of material on an FSA exam syllabus like LP. Just remember you do not need to be perfect to pass or even get a 10. The key is to be positive and persistently expose yourself to the material. Your mind will retain much more than you realize by constantly exposing yourself to the material and doing whatever it takes to stay engaged and avoid distractions. Easier said than done, but put in the work, and you will usually be rewarded.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 06-16-2018, 04:53 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Stuff
College: Purdue University Alumni
Favorite beer: Avery The Reverand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arms91 View Post
I'm surprised so many people here haven't started studying yet or are just now starting. I would advise to get started immediately.

I know I started early but I am already very glad I did. There is a huge amount of material here to understand/memorize. Then again, some people here could be much better at retaining and memorizing than me so if that's the case then starting a month or two later may still be okay.
The problem was that the SOA didn't release the syllabus until two weeks ago. I bought the study materials as soon as they became available and have only had them for a week.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:25 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arms91 View Post

The forum may be quiet but we have had students asking questions on the materials already. So don't gauge the study progress based on the activities on this forum.

I also recommend students to start studying around this time just so that they don't feel panic near the exam date. There is a lot of material and you have to keep yourself relax the whole study time in order to absorb the material. I often hear students feeling pressured later or having other priorities showed up and then end up skipping some study notes.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for LFV-US / LFV-CA / LP / LRM Fall 2018

LP: Sample
LFV U.S.: Sample
LFV Canada: Sample
LRM: Sample

Should you have any questions, please send us an email.

Tags
fall 2018, fsa exam, ilalp, life pricing