Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-13-2019, 06:55 PM
CAS

Default Build your own keyboard

I recently found out it's possible build your own custom mechanical keyboard and there's a cult following of people who really enjoy this as a hobby. Have been getting into it myself and just ordered all the pieces for my first build.

Admittedly, it seems strange (crazy?) to drop $300+ on a keyboard you have to solder together yourself when you could buy one for $10. There are a few things that make it really appealing:

1. Typing on it sounds / feels amazing - most membrane keyboards today feel cheap, don't provide the same feedback of the old buckling spring keyboards and even make some rattling sounds
2. Custom layouts - ergonomic, split boards, etc.
3. Look / color scheme / rgb (if you're into that)

I'm mainly making mine to replace the gigantic space bar with multiple keys so that my thumb can be more useful during games. Also, it's fun to build stuff.

Anyone else ever done this? If interested, check out r/mechanicalkeyboards for example.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:41 PM
SOA

I've seen a few videos / streams of people building their own, but it's never appealed to me. I feel like I'd be perfectly happy with a top-of-the-line mechanical keyboard from corsair or razer and end up spending less, but knowing me I could be convinced otherwise if I experienced it in person and it was somehow super amazing.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:58 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I don't know about $10...but a good pre-built mechanical keyboard runs around $150 if you're talking about something from DAS or WASD. So $300 is maybe twice as much. I have a DAS that I bought in 2010 for about $150.

I think if you haven't used a mechanical or tried customizing it from one of the manufacturers that provides options, I'd suggest doing that first as then you'd have a better idea of what you want when you DIY.

Or...if you already have a lot of experience with that thing, please let me know where I can get a $10 mechanical keyboard thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:45 AM
CAS

Ha! $10 was referring to a logitech-esque keyboard. Good pre-builts are going to be around $150 like you mentioned. I see a lot of people opting for a Ducky and also hear great reviews on Leopold.

I've got a corsair k65 now that was great for the price (<$70 iirc) but the space bar rattles like crazy.