Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!
Default Tom Bakos - Petition Endorsement

The SoA Petition Process will begin next Tuesday, 7/1/2014, and ends on 7/31/2014.

The Petition Process is designed to allow SoA members the opportunity to place candidate names on the ballot for the election which will run from 8/18/14 – 9/5/2014. SoA Eligible Voting Members (“EVMs”) should receive via email a link from the SoA to a voting site which will allow them to participate in the Petition Process.

The Petition Process is not the election of candidates. It merely places names on the election ballot who receive the required number of petition endorsements. This year the required number is 517.

I urge every SoA EVM to click on the link in the email immediately upon receipt and endorse candidates in this Petition Process. Otherwise, it is easy to forget and you will not get any reminders.

Please (SoA EVMs) endorse my candidacy for President Elect.

Once again, the Nominating Committee (NC) has chosen not to “endorse” my candidacy. I do not know at this moment who the other petition candidates for PE or any other position will be or if, in fact, there will be any. In order to be a petition candidate one must have submitted his or her name to the NC for consideration and have been rejected, that is, not “endorsed”. After non-endorsement by the NC, candidates have until this coming Sunday, 6/29/2014, to indicate a desire to be included in the Petition Process.

I was not endorsed by the NC, apparently, following their subjective analysis of my PE Questionnaire which can be found here in pdf form.

I think the responses in the questionnaire provide good background for exercising your right to merely place my name on the ballot, but I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about candidacy or how I would approach the presidency of the SoA, if elected. Ask them here or send me an email to Tom@BakosEnterprises.com.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 06-26-2014, 02:25 PM
SOA

Does the board report the reasons for refusing to endorse candidates?
Old 06-26-2014, 02:33 PM

you must be new here
Old 06-26-2014, 02:55 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
Does the board report the reasons for refusing to endorse candidates?
No, the SoA Board is only involved, theoretically, to officially approve a ballot proposed by the Nominating Committee.

Someone from the NC calls each candidate to tell them they are endorsed or not and, if not, provide some reason for non-endorsement. Although, I have never found that to be helpful.

For example, this time the comment I got was on the "quality" of my responses in my PE questionnaire vs. those of the PE candidates endorsed. That seems to me to be a decision that ought to be left to the individual voters.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Dallas

Tom,

Do you know whether an electronic signature will be required for SOA members to participate in the petition process this year?
Old 06-26-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
The SOA or the service provider will, by email, notify all Eligible Voting Members about the petition process and will provide the Eligible Voting Members a link to the online petition site and a unique pass code by which each Eligible Voting Member can access the site.

The petition site will remain open for 30 calendar days after the notice is sent to Eligible Voting Members. Each Eligible Voting Member may use his/her unique pass code to access the site and enter support for the petitions of the nominees listed; provided, however, each Eligible Voting Member may support the petition of only one nominee for the President-Elect office; may support the petitions of no more than two nominees for Vice President position; and may support the petitions of no more than three nominees for Elected Board Member position. Once an Eligible Voting Member has accessed the site and entered support for any petition for any Board position, the support may not be revoked or changed.

Looks much more like a process this time. The signatures were a requirement when it was email based, IIRC. This time, they "know" who you are from the unique identifier login. And they'll probably put you on a list if you vote for Tom.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Moore View Post
Tom,

Do you know whether an electronic signature will be required for SOA members to participate in the petition process this year?
Like last year, you will get an email with a link embedded in it and an ID of some sort. Clicking on the link will take you automatically, I believe, to the petition voting site. No signature is required.

I think you will not have to input your ID in the email but, if you do, you will have it in the email.

You only need to get the email (get it through spam filters, for example) in order to vote in the Petition Process. No "signature" required.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post

Looks much more like a process this time. The signatures were a requirement when it was email based, IIRC. This time, they "know" who you are from the unique identifier login. And they'll probably put you on a list if you vote for Tom.
This is like the Petition Process run by the SoA last year - for the first time. A lot of members, obviously, missed or overlooked it or emails went into spam folders.

By the way, if you vote for me in the petition process and I win, I'll destroy that list you referred to . Actually, the Petition Process voting is anonymous.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 06-26-2014, 04:28 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
No, the SoA Board is only involved, theoretically, to officially approve a ballot proposed by the Nominating Committee.

Someone from the NC calls each candidate to tell them they are endorsed or not and, if not, provide some reason for non-endorsement. Although, I have never found that to be helpful.

For example, this time the comment I got was on the "quality" of my responses in my PE questionnaire vs. those of the PE candidates endorsed. That seems to me to be a decision that ought to be left to the individual voters.
Too many spelling errors?

Perhaps you could provide the questionnaire and your responses, so we can judge for ourselves the quality of them.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Too many spelling errors?

Perhaps you could provide the questionnaire and your responses, so we can judge for ourselves the quality of them.
The link was provided in post #1 of this thread. Let me know if you cannot connect.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA

Tags
2014, bakos, petition, sos