Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-09-2015, 04:31 PM
SOA

College: college is for squares

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
Decided to go home for lunch and see if I could get it to load. It worked. 20 minutes to unpack. Graphics defaulted to Ultra. Didn't see that one coming (I have an R9 270X). Didn't double check resolution and other settings, though. Progressing through the prologue. So far so good. Controls are gonna take a bit to get used to (dialogue, terminal navigation, looting, etc).
wait what??!?! how are you playing it?

i must get this on PC. 2 hours until I go homeeeeee
Old 11-09-2015, 04:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Only scrubs want to play at something higher than a 0fps - git gud
The human eye can't actually discern the difference of any frame rate higher than 0 fps.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:40 PM
CAS

I personally prefer 0 fps because it gives games that more authentic "photographic" feel.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

I've been playing The Witcher 2 on PC. Only on Chapter 1, and about to fight the Kraken thing (Kraylon?). I have no idea where to find Silver Ore and everything I want to craft requires it. Do you just randomly find and mine it? Haven't found anyone who sells it either.

Fallout 4 looks pretty neat. I think i own F3 and/or New Vegas but haven't played them once (thanks, steam sale). So maybe I'll just do one of those for now and see if I like that type of game.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:55 AM
SOA

Have people seen these side-by-side comparisons of BLOPS3 on current gen vs last gen. Maybe I'm clouded by two years of current gen, but I don't recall last gen games looking as bad as the last gen version of this game.

The different assets used to get it to run is somewhat hilarious. Some scenes have modern-ish looking tanks/vehicles in XB1, but on 360 they are replaced with detail-less crates or vans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2EaFQzCv6Y
Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 AM
SOA

Studying for modules
Favorite beer: Shiner

I think some of it is that it takes time to optimize games for a system. If you look at last gen games from when they first came out to the end of the cycle, and there were great advances in graphics as developers figured out how to work with the system. Now, the focus is on the current gen, so they don't bother to spend a lot of time maximizing graphics on old consoles. This keeps them from spending too much time on a dying console, and hopefully pushes gamers to the new console.

2013-2014 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2016-2017 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2018-2019 EPL Prediction Contest Champion
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM

About 3 hours into fallout 4, and it's great. Glad they give you Dogmeat pretty much immediately. I do wish the crafting was easier. As in, if you store your items in your base, they would let youuse them at any table in the base. I was carrying 200 weight of "junk"/crafting items. I don't want to carry all my items at a time to make crafting easier, but I might need to do that.

If you didn't like Fallout 3 or New Vegas, I doubt you would like FO4. If you liked them or you like well designed crafting engines, you will likely enjoy FO4. I almost ran to Target to buy some Nuka-Cola Quantum, but it's just Jones Soda Blue Raspberry Lemonade. However, the Surge soda I recently bought on Amazon is just as good as I remember.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:30 PM

I'm pretty sure that every time a AAA title is released it reaffirms how dumb user ratings are on metacritic. The scores for FO4 are ridiculous, "The frame rate drops on occasion, 0/10", "Looks like PS2 graphics, 0/10".
Old 11-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Technically speaking - Fallout 4 is a bit embarrassing for a supposed AAA game. Especially compared to something like Witcher 3.

Some of the worst animations and path finding, poor graphics, and glitches. I'll probably pick it up once the price drops and the modding community brings the game up to modern standards.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I'm pretty sure that every time a AAA title is released it reaffirms how dumb user ratings are on metacritic. The scores for FO4 are ridiculous, "The frame rate drops on occasion, 0/10", "Looks like PS2 graphics, 0/10".
Review scores are pretty useless in general.

A site like Gametrailers gushed about the gameplay of FO4, but said the game had some significant graphical errors and unpolished graphics. Gave the game 9/10, which to me, feels a bit disingenuous.

The reality is that some gamers are graphics first, and looking at that number isn't going to helpful to them.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one