Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Political Issues
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
totally missed the context of Trump's "joke" somehow

wtf is wrong with these people.
Like the saying goes, "The buck stops literally anywhere else."

Democracy Dies in Darkness.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Blackadder View Post
Alas, the story seems to have legs. Even if, as many on this forum assert, that it's untrue. Which it may well be.

If I don't see any movement on this by the end of 2Q2017, I'll throw in the towel.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5383 View Post
Like the saying goes, "The buck stops literally anywhere else."
Seriously. It was the generals! It was the British! It was Fox News!

I thought this guy was supposed to be some type of Randian alpha male. Grow a backbone already.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 AM
SOA AAA

College: trump university alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic Actuary View Post
I wonder why Trump is at 37% despite the economic miracle he has created.
They didn't ask me, that's why.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 AM
SOA AAA

College: trump university alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
What economic changes has he made yet? I get he's proposed a tax plan and all the rest of it, but that's all forward looking things.
His various executive orders are the most immediate changes. Multiple examples of self-sabotage via twitter and elsewhere has harmed his political capital though, mostly completely unnecessary damage since he has an army of goons including myself at his Clinton loving critics' throats.

Markets were bullish on tax cuts but since Trump's effectiveness at pushing through legitimate legislation has come under scrutiny, algos are peeing themselves a bit. And if you ask a real "economist", many important valuations are forward looking which is why the last part of your quote matters. Of course, if the political ability of said change is called into question then all bets are off.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito's Phlegm View Post
His various executive orders are the most immediate changes. Multiple examples of self-sabotage via twitter and elsewhere has harmed his political capital though, mostly completely unnecessary damage since he has an army of goons including myself at his Clinton loving critics' throats.

Markets were bullish on tax cuts but since Trump's effectiveness at pushing through legitimate legislation has come under scrutiny, algos are peeing themselves a bit. And if you ask a real "economist", many important valuations are forward looking which is why the last part of your quote matters. Of course, if the political ability of said change is called into question then all bets are off.
Since you put economist in quotes, do you mean other things as well? Like microwaves that turn into computers?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito's Phlegm View Post

Yeah so it's all very speculative at this point, and I imagine your last sentence felt most relevant after the market was down yesterday? I'd love for Trump to be successful economically, it'd benefit all of America but these twitter rants, while hugely entertaining, just make Trump and America look foolish imo.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
SOA AAA

This is our president

http://time.com/4710456/donald-trump.../?xid=homepage

Quote:
Is there anything different about making these kinds of predictions without having the factual evidence as President?

Iím a very instinctual person, but my instinct turns out to be right. When everyone said I wasnít going to win the election, I said well I think I would. You know it is interesting, somebody came up to me and said the other day, gee whiz, the New York Times and other people, you know other groups, had you down at one percent, well, I said no I think I am going to win, and people smiled, George Stephanopoulos laughed, you remember. He thought it was very cute, and very funny. Other people smiled. And some people, the smart people or the people that know me didnít laugh at all. There are people that know me, like Carl Icahn and many others, that didnít laugh at all, they thought I was going to win, because they understand how I, they understand me. They get it. But you take a look and guess what, I won, and I won easily. I predicted Brexit. Remember they said there was no way to get to 270? Well I ended up at 306. I had election night, 306. But there was no way to get to, in fact I went to Maine four times, four times I went to Maine, because I had to get one vote, because there was no way to get to 270, but I ended up getting to 306. Brexit, I predicted Brexit, you remember that, the day before the event. I said, no Brexit is going to happen, and everybody laughed, and Brexit happened. Many many things. They turn out to be right. And now today, Devin Nunes, just had a news conference
Quote:
But even in that Sweden quote, you said look at what happened on Friday in Sweden. But you are now saying you were referring to something that happened the following day.

No I am saying I was right. I am talking about Sweden. Iím talking about what Sweden has done to themselves is very sad, that is what I am talking about. That is what I am talking about. You can phrase it any way you want. A day later they had a horrible, horrible riot in Sweden and you saw what happened. I talked about Brussels. I was on the front page of the New York Times for my quote. I said Brussels is not what it used to be, very sad what has happened to Brussels. I was absolutely lambasted. A short time later they had the major attack in Brussels. One year ago today. Exactly one year ago today. And then people said you know Trump was right. What am I going to tell you? I tend to be right. Iím an instinctual person, I happen to be a person that knows how life works. I said I was going to win the election, I won the election, in fact I was number one the entire route, in the primaries, from the day I announced, I was number one. And the New York Times and CNN and all of them, they did these polls, which were extremely bad and they turned out to be totally wrong, and my polls showed I was going to win. We thought we were going to win the night of the election.

So when youÖ

And then TIME magazine, which treats me horribly, but obviously I sell, I assume this is going to be a cover too, have I set the record? I guess, right? Covers, nobodyís had more covers.
My favorite's the ending:

Quote:
But isnít there, it strikes me there is still an issue of credibility. If the intelligence community came out and said, we have determined that so and so is the leaker here, but you are saying to me now, that you donít believe the intelligence community when they say your tweet was wrong.

Iím not sayingóno, Iím not blaming. First of all, I put Mike Pompeo in. I put Senator Dan Coats in. These are great people. I think they are great people and they are going to, I have a lot of confidence in them. So hopefully things will straighten out. But I inherited a mess, I inherited a mess in so many ways. I inherited a mess in the Middle East, and a mess with North Korea, I inherited a mess with jobs, despite the statistics, you know, my statistics are even better, but they are not the real statistics because you have millions of people that canít get a job, ok. And I inherited a mess on trade. I mean we have many, you can go up and down the ladder. But thatís the story. Hey look, in the mean time, I guess, I canít be doing so badly, because Iím president, and youíre not. You know. Say hello to everybody OK?

Thank you very much, Mr. President.

Quote:
ďIf you people had jobs, you wouldnít be out here doing this mess.Ē

As this happened, another woman walked by and, without pausing to look at the Chevrolet Suburbanite, said:

ďBitch, itís Saturday.Ē
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/23/politi...ods/index.html

Quote:
"I'm a very instinctual person, but my instinct turns out to be right. Hey, look, in the meantime, I guess I can't be doing so badly, because I'm president, and you're not," he told Time's Washington bureau chief, Michael Scherer.
Reposting for prosterity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
I still don't understand what's dishonest about putting two direct quotes in my sig line. Is it because I put the word "reporters" in brackets to clarify what win was talking about?