Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:27 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
Are you guys doing practice exams yet? And if so, how is it going? I tried doing one of the TIA ones and totally bombed it. Overall it was a complete waste of time and so frustrating that it is still effecting my confidence. At this point I think I am going to keep doing practice problems until the last two weeks and then hopefully knock out the six SOA exams. It's a bad situation but I think that is the best I can do at this point.
Yeah i know what you mean. I tried doing an ASM practice exam a few days ago and did terrible. My biggest problem is staying focused for 4 hours and not just giving up halfway through the multiple choice questions because i cant figure one of them out.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:04 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: You See Ellay
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaWilliams View Post
Yeah i know what you mean. I tried doing an ASM practice exam a few days ago and did terrible. My biggest problem is staying focused for 4 hours and not just giving up halfway through the multiple choice questions because i cant figure one of them out.
Yeah the 4 hours is a real kick to me too. Started with #15 and it destroyed me, so much that I started debating whether I even pay the fees and take the exam this time around. But I understand what most questions are asking, and hopefully with 11 (well, 9 remaining) ASM and 6 SOA PE's I'll be more fine-tuned.

------------------------------------------

P FM MFE MLC C VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance

I'm currently looking for an entry-level actuarial position. If you could help or are hiring, PM me!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:25 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post
Is anyone using the ADAPT WA by topic? I'm working through the reserves right now and #2 is stumping me because I'm not sure why they use 1E30 when calculating a 5 yr endowment on (30).

Additionally, the posted solution is 39615 and the question says show that is 48000 to the nearest 1000.

Since this G gets carried throughout the problem, it's tough to check my answers...
They've already posted the corrected answers. Now the questions should be changed. I'm sending them the revised questions for Reserves.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 AM
SOA

When writing out formulas for written answer questions, should I define the terms of the formula after writing it out generically?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaWilliams View Post
When writing out formulas for written answer questions, should I define the terms of the formula after writing it out generically?

I would just write it generically then substitute them in, I wouldn't worry about defining each number. "V(10) = A(50) - a50 (P) = 367.32 - 12.2(43.11)" for example. In most cases it probably won't make a difference, but it might get you a half point on something like a pension question if you can show you actually know what you're doing even if you screw up one of your calculations (years*accrual rate * avg salary* a * p * v or something like that)

Last edited by ScarletGrey08; 03-22-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Old 03-22-2017, 03:20 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Binghamton University, Alumni

I have not done my first PE yet. I have worked almost 300 questions so far. Where is everybody Else standing in their progress?

I am not sure when to attempt my first WA or my first sample exam?

What is the consensus?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Just started the 300 Questions and I am hoping they well help me retain the formulas so I can tackle the PEs
Old 03-22-2017, 04:31 PM
SOA

College: Ball State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by n27 View Post
I have not done my first PE yet. I have worked almost 300 questions so far. Where is everybody Else standing in their progress?

I am not sure when to attempt my first WA or my first sample exam?

What is the consensus?
I finished all the practice problems TIA offers (excluding sample exams) last month and I've done two PEs from Adapt, the exam from Spring 2014, and I'm going through the Adapt written answer problems right now. Not feeling great, but better than I did last sitting.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:09 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: UC Berkeley

Still reading ASM Lesson 63, did most of the after-lesson exercises. The lesson towards to the end make less sense to me. Hopefully will finish all the readings and start to take PEs a month prior to the exam.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
Old Today, 06:15 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: You See Ellay
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

On my 4th PE and I feel like I'm being gunned down but I'm sure it's going to get better. For my last actuarial exam I made a comprehensive list of the most common problems I see, but that time around there were like 45 chapters less, so I'll just have to note down whatever I keep getting wrong. At least some folks are saying the ASM PE's are a bit harder than the actual stuff but still

------------------------------------------

P FM MFE MLC C VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance

I'm currently looking for an entry-level actuarial position. If you could help or are hiring, PM me!