Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Transamerica Outsourcing

1/11/18 Transamerica partners with Tata Consultancy Services to transform its insurance and annuities administration

https://www.transamerica.com/images/...m73-100222.pdf

I feel for those who are being outsourced.

How long before actuaries are outsourced?
Old 01-12-2018, 03:54 PM

"The majority of these expense savings is expected to benefit underlying earnings."

If I was an agent for a competing company, I'd try use this to my advantage.

I wonder how this will impact their experience, particularly persistency/renewals.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
If I was an agent for a competing company, I'd try use this to my advantage.
As in, "buy from us we're more expensive"? I don't think that's how marketing works.

Their administration is pretty incompetent, don't know that this will (even could) lower the quality. I've been disputing their errors for months on admin of a 401k where the person involved is grossly incompetent. Didn't they lose a lawsuit to their own employees on, essentially, cheating the participants (i.e., their own employees) on fees? Not the same area, so perhaps the people being outsourced for annuities are competent and honest, but seems unlikely.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
As in, "buy from us we're more expensive"? I don't think that's how marketing works.

Their administration is pretty incompetent, don't know that this will (even could) lower the quality. I've been disputing their errors for months on admin of a 401k where the person involved is grossly incompetent. Didn't they lose a lawsuit to their own employees on, essentially, cheating the participants (i.e., their own employees) on fees? Not the same area, so perhaps the people being outsourced for annuities are competent and honest, but seems unlikely.
Except they weren't doing this to lower prices to customers, it was to enrich their shareholders.

"Buy American" works, sometimes.

Transamerica was also sued in 2016 for UL rate hikes.
http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2016/05/...ver-rate-hikes

"Why would you buy from Transamerica, when they raise rates and oursource American jobs?"
Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Unfortunately for you, Transamerica will continue administration and servicing of its retirement plans, IRAs, Advice Center, mutual funds, exchange-traded funds and stable value solutions on existing platforms.

My guess is they offer these people a new lower-paying job, and if they turn it down, they get no severance at all. If they take it, even at the same salary, do they retain their old vacation time? And I'm guessing the pension plan going forward goes away for them too. Should be interesting as time progresses.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:54 PM

Studying for new job
Favorite beer: H2O

Quote:
1/11/18 Transamerica partners with Tata Consultancy Services to transform its insurance and annuities administration

The answer is: it already happened at least since a year ago, actuaries of different levels, from chief actuary to analysts, were let go or given retirement package if over 5X years old and had worked for the company for over Y years.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryGale View Post
The answer is: it already happened at least since a year ago, actuaries of different levels, from chief actuary to analysts, were let go or given retirement package if over 5X years old and had worked for the company for over Y years.
?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:

Not sure about life insurance. But, I would like to see P&C companies try and hire actuaries in India to understand all the regulatory stuff and talk to claims dept/TPAs and underwriters. Same for health actuaries.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Not sure about life insurance. But, I would like to see P&C companies try and hire actuaries in India to understand all the regulatory stuff and talk to claims dept/TPAs and underwriters. Same for health actuaries.
It only has to work long enough for you to cash out. You can leave the turnaround strategy to the next person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM
SOA

lol this company was horrible... it took them 3 months to reimburse my friends travel expenses.... but thats just the admin/payroll department prolly.