Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Doctor Who's Avatar
Doctor Who Doctor Who is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22,943
Default Transamerica Outsourcing

1/11/18 Transamerica partners with Tata Consultancy Services to transform its insurance and annuities administration

https://www.transamerica.com/images/...m73-100222.pdf

I feel for those who are being outsourced.

How long before actuaries are outsourced?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Doctor Who's Avatar
Doctor Who Doctor Who is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22,943
Default

"The majority of these expense savings is expected to benefit underlying earnings."

If I was an agent for a competing company, I'd try use this to my advantage.

I wonder how this will impact their experience, particularly persistency/renewals.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
If I was an agent for a competing company, I'd try use this to my advantage.
As in, "buy from us we're more expensive"? I don't think that's how marketing works.

Their administration is pretty incompetent, don't know that this will (even could) lower the quality. I've been disputing their errors for months on admin of a 401k where the person involved is grossly incompetent. Didn't they lose a lawsuit to their own employees on, essentially, cheating the participants (i.e., their own employees) on fees? Not the same area, so perhaps the people being outsourced for annuities are competent and honest, but seems unlikely.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Doctor Who's Avatar
Doctor Who Doctor Who is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
As in, "buy from us we're more expensive"? I don't think that's how marketing works.

Their administration is pretty incompetent, don't know that this will (even could) lower the quality. I've been disputing their errors for months on admin of a 401k where the person involved is grossly incompetent. Didn't they lose a lawsuit to their own employees on, essentially, cheating the participants (i.e., their own employees) on fees? Not the same area, so perhaps the people being outsourced for annuities are competent and honest, but seems unlikely.
Except they weren't doing this to lower prices to customers, it was to enrich their shareholders.

"Buy American" works, sometimes.

Transamerica was also sued in 2016 for UL rate hikes.
http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2016/05/...ver-rate-hikes

"Why would you buy from Transamerica, when they raise rates and oursource American jobs?"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 PM
working girl's Avatar
working girl working girl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Their administration is pretty incompetent, don't know that this will (even could) lower the quality. I've been disputing their errors for months on admin of a 401k where the person involved is grossly incompetent. Didn't they lose a lawsuit to their own employees on, essentially, cheating the participants (i.e., their own employees) on fees? Not the same area, so perhaps the people being outsourced for annuities are competent and honest, but seems unlikely.
Unfortunately for you, Transamerica will continue administration and servicing of its retirement plans, IRAs, Advice Center, mutual funds, exchange-traded funds and stable value solutions on existing platforms.

My guess is they offer these people a new lower-paying job, and if they turn it down, they get no severance at all. If they take it, even at the same salary, do they retain their old vacation time? And I'm guessing the pension plan going forward goes away for them too. Should be interesting as time progresses.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:54 PM
HenryGale's Avatar
HenryGale HenryGale is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: where I live
Studying for new job
Favorite beer: H2O
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
1/11/18 Transamerica partners with Tata Consultancy Services to transform its insurance and annuities administration

https://www.transamerica.com/images/...m73-100222.pdf

I feel for those who are being outsourced.

How long before actuaries are outsourced?
The answer is: it already happened at least since a year ago, actuaries of different levels, from chief actuary to analysts, were let go or given retirement package if over 5X years old and had worked for the company for over Y years.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Doctor Who's Avatar
Doctor Who Doctor Who is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryGale View Post
The answer is: it already happened at least since a year ago, actuaries of different levels, from chief actuary to analysts, were let go or given retirement package if over 5X years old and had worked for the company for over Y years.
?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM
hjacjswo hjacjswo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
College: About to be a super senior
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
1/11/18 Transamerica partners with Tata Consultancy Services to transform its insurance and annuities administration

https://www.transamerica.com/images/...m73-100222.pdf

I feel for those who are being outsourced.

How long before actuaries are outsourced?
Not sure about life insurance. But, I would like to see P&C companies try and hire actuaries in India to understand all the regulatory stuff and talk to claims dept/TPAs and underwriters. Same for health actuaries.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 48,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Not sure about life insurance. But, I would like to see P&C companies try and hire actuaries in India to understand all the regulatory stuff and talk to claims dept/TPAs and underwriters. Same for health actuaries.
It only has to work long enough for you to cash out. You can leave the turnaround strategy to the next person.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM
royevans royevans is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 466
Default

lol this company was horrible... it took them 3 months to reimburse my friends travel expenses.... but thats just the admin/payroll department prolly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.45276 seconds with 9 queries