Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > General Questions about Actuarial Science Universities
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Questions about Actuarial Science Universities Please post all questions about universities, majors, text books,
and other general questions in this forum.

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
GSU (Master of Actuarial Science and Master of Science in Mathematical Risk Management) 2 40.00%
Temple (Master of Actuarial Science) 3 60.00%
Waterloo (Master of Actuarial Science) 3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Smile [Master] GSU vs. Temple vs. Waterloo

Hi all,

Recently, I work at international property & casualty insurance company as an actuarial analyst for 1 year.
Although many seniors recommend not to study actuarial master, I still want to study master of actuarial science degree.
Also, I am an international student.
My future goal is to find an internship and find a related actuarial job after graduation in USA.

I received offer from GSU. (Dual master program: Master of Actuarial Science and Master of Science in mathematical Risk Management) http://robinson.gsu.edu/masters-prog...-d23f9eec-7014
Moreover, I have qualified for a scholarship through the Robinson College of Business.
Can anyone give me some suggestions for GSU dual master programs?
Do I need to wait Temple and Waterloo?

[Summary]
- Background:
1. I will have 1.5 year experience of property and casualty insurance comany as an actuarial analyst before studying master degree.
2. Major in statistics when pursuing undergraduate degree.
3. Pass: P, FM, VEE Stat, VEE Econ, VeeCorpFin; Sitting: MFE (March 2018)

- My Goal:
1. Find an internship during my master.
2. Find a job in USA after graduation.

- Question:
Which one is better? Advantages and disadvantages. (ex. curriculum, location, reputation in actuarial field, employment rate, internship rate, etc.)
1. GSU(dual master programs: Master of Actuarial Science and Master of Science in mathematical Risk Management) - Received offer (have qualified for a scholarship)
2. Temple(Master of Actuarial Science) - Waiting decision (just finished interview)
3. Waterloo(Master of Actuarial Science) - Waiting decision
4. I also apply to UIUC, Columbia, Iowa, Connecticut. Do I need to consider them?

Thanks for your assistance!
I really need your suggestions and comments

Last edited by Peter T.W. Chen; 01-24-2018 at 11:14 PM..
Old 01-25-2018, 01:22 AM

Georgia State focuses on financial risk management as you can tell by the course descriptions. Doesn't seem to have that much relevance to property casualty if that's where you plan return to. Do they cover the full 69k? Do you have to do anything for the scholarship?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:28 AM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic Actuary View Post
Georgia State focuses on financial risk management as you can tell by the course descriptions. Doesn't seem to have that much relevance to property casualty if that's where you plan return to. Do they cover the full 69k? Do you have to do anything for the scholarship?
Actually, I work at P&C company in Actuarial department; however, I also need to do some ERM work. I'm not sure I will return to P&C. It seems that P&C is a good future path based on my recent experience. How do you think?
My goal is to find an internship and job in USA, not limit in P&C (related actuarial jobs).
I'm not sure GSU has CPT and OPT, I will ask them.
GSU will send me details for scholarship within 1~2 weeks. I'm not sure what do I need to do anything now?
Therefore, I don't know how to decide where to go.
Thanks!

Last edited by Peter T.W. Chen; 01-25-2018 at 01:39 AM..

Tags
gsu, master, temple, waterloo