Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Also, some fields *do* want you list everything . . . including acceptance of a multi-page resume/CV . . .

but the actuarial field isn't one of them.

You can still send in a 2-page resume, but that will likely result in the reader making their decision about an interview by the time they're 1/2 way down the front page.

With a 1-page interview, they're far more likely to at least look down to the bottom of the page.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmath View Post
I did! It still seems a bit surreal, but we're graduating our first class next year (only 5 students, but it counts) and already have 30 students signed up for next year's freshman class. It's a small, boutique college that only offers a 2 year A.A. in Business, with credits transferring directly to several 4-year programs in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
A simple co-founder statement is better than all the details - especially when it forces you to be just a "part of the ... committee".
Then I change my mind a little here. Mentioning that the first class will be graduating is good to get across that it wasn't just founded, it is in some sense a success already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmath View Post
You bring up a good point about the importance of communication skills. I'll try to emphasize that in my resume and in interviews.
Imo, communication is one of those things that you generally don't have to emphasize on the resume and that usually sounds stupid if you explicitly state just that (because, face it, everyone communicates). But good communication skills are already likely to be assumed from the teaching experience and from the founding of the school and from being a PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Agree with vjvj in that your communication skills will ultimately be evaluated during an interview.

Your teaching experience will speak enough about being able to communicate verbally without creating unrealistic expectations on you for the interview.

Put another way, don't explicitly say you're a good communicator. Your resume in and of itself will be an expression of how well do you communicate in written form. Let your listed experiences imply your verbal skillz.

If you have any published works, that might be good to list as well (if there's space).

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 PM
CAS

Studying for wisdom
Favorite beer: the delicious kind

For the exams, I would put the name first, then "Passed" or "Sitting", then the date. "To be completed" sounds obvious, and "Sitting" sounds like it's on your radar and you are actively studying.

Exam P/1 - Passed May 2018
Exam FM/2 - Sitting Aug 2018

I am a career changer and former teacher, and I second the suggestion to emphasize the explanation skills in your job pursuit.

Good luck!