Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 09-28-2018, 08:52 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Deadpool **** 1/2 - Pure entertainment, plain & simple. The more cultural references you get, the better it is
"For once I just wish I could find a planet where everyone is worse than me. A bunch of functional idiots. I'm gonna go there and I'm gonna be their Superman."

"Isn't that Canada?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
what's a JAS
Old 10-01-2018, 03:04 PM
SOA AAA

Mandy * I am a pretty big Nic Cage fan, but we can all admit it has been quite a while since he had anything close to a winner. I personally loved him in the first Ghost Rider and Kick Ass among his later endeavors. This movie, however, is not the redemption I had heard from the reviews. The acting on all sides is so leaden, the story fairly simple, but poorly written and so darkly shot it was difficult to identify specific characters. On the plus side, there was a lot of bloody mayhem and quite a bit of vengeance as well. Could have been a lot better, but it wasn't.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Venom ***

Hard to make a Venom origin story without Spiderman. They did OK. They got the character mostly right. I think it will be much improved when they can release the extended unrated director's cut. Really looking forward to the sequel.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:17 PM

A Star is Born ***

Two amazing acting performances and an amazing directing performance overcome a script that doesn't seem to be sure what point it is trying to make. Is it about being true to one's artistic vision? Is it about the healing power of love? Is it about the destructive quality of jealousy? Is it about the importance of family? Threads about all of those questions get started but then never get resolved. Then the ending comes out of nowhere.

As a movie, it was hell of an amazing series of concert perormances.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:00 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Fist Man 2.5/5

I guess I'll give it 2.5 stars. Gosling did a fair job of portraying Armstrong's stoicism. I had forgotten about the right wingest's criticism that they didn't show him planting the flag. After seeing the movie showing some jingoistic flag planting scene wouldn't have really fit. They showed the flag plenty, post-planting, so I don't really think they were trying to make any kind of political statement.

They did not portray Buzz Aldrin in a very flattering way. He didn't really have much of a role at all tbh, but what he did have, he came across as a jerk.

I wish they would have painted a better picture of why Neil was selected for Gemini program and why he was picked to be first but that didn't really come across to me. I also wish they would have showed his wife and kids watching the TV (or whatever they were doing) during Apollo 11.

The biggest issue I have is the emotional climax of the movie where he throws his daughters bracelet into a crater. It never happened. I kind of felt like they cheated their whole way through this movie if this was the big payoff.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 10-14-2018, 01:34 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

FIST MAN

Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Piercing/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 PM
CAS

i thought he was talking about that 1980 al pacino movie, Cruising