Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Massachusetts has done this for years:

https://www.mass.gov/service-details...bile-insurance

bolding added.

dang... those all seem like the most important variables... do most folks more or less have the same premium for the same liability coverage in mass?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonien Soong View Post
. Gender, particularly interacting with other variables has strong predictive value. Ouch.
Are you assuming gender is a discrete variable? woah what a hate crime ... you a trump supporter?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM
CAS

Please keep that sort of political political commentary out of the professional areas of the AO.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:28 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShundayBloodyShunday View Post
Please keep that sort of political political commentary out of the professional areas of the AO.
it was a joke...
Old 01-08-2019, 02:46 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
dang... those all seem like the most important variables... do most folks more or less have the same premium for the same liability coverage in mass?
I don't know, I never priced personal auto. I went to college in MA, and remember that even though we had relatively high auto insurance rates, young men (aka male college students) usually had lower auto insurance costs in MA. And I googled it, and saw they still have that provision.

I suppose they must give more weight to experience than most states. Or maybe everyone pays the same for liability.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
it was a joke...
...that does not belong in the professional areas of the AO.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
without any real knowledge base in the product - they drive less (lower exposure) and drive slower typically (they recognize their reaction time limitations). If they have more accidents, they are lower severity events.
Doesn't really work out. Some do drive less and recognize diminished ability, some drive just as much as always, but not as well. When there are no restrictions on an experience based age factor curve, it generally will come out U shaped, though not as steep on the senior side as the youthful side.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 AM
CAS

This change makes sense. Public restrooms are now going mostly to unisex, as it can be a very traumatic experience for some people to be forced to choose between a binary gender option. Same with an agent or an online app asking for an applicant's gender -- which is, at the very least, a flagrant micro-aggression.

I applaud this change.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders33 View Post
This change makes sense. Public restrooms are now going mostly to unisex, as it can be a very traumatic experience for some people to be forced to choose between a binary gender option. Same with an agent or an online app asking for an applicant's gender -- which is, at the very least, a flagrant micro-aggression.

I applaud this change.
It makes more sense if you view it as removing gender-bias in insurance for the vast majority who are comfortable identifying with one binary gender or the other. The number of non-binary drivers is relatively small, and their needs could have been handled by adding a non-binary option.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders33 View Post

I applaud this change.
what a ridiculous response... if you are concerned about people not being able to identify themselves, you can simply as them their sex instead of gender. Sex is biological and is going to be binary (afaik).