Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-09-2017, 01:14 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Many people like a little extra bass and midbass. I'd rather be a tad heavy on bass than too light. When I was playing around with my JBL setup, I was using a White Instruments Paramedic DSP, and I could EQ whatever I wanted. So I dialed it in as flat as I could. With one sub doing bass I could get it pretty darn flat from about 20Hz to about 14kHz, at which point my big compression drivers were done. And it sounded great. And then I dialed in a house curve, so I sloped down 0.25dB per octave. Just a gradual slope, heavy on the bass and light on the treble, and liked it even more.

I used to like a more 'detailed' sound, bought some Avance monitors in about 2002 that were brighter up top. Over the years I've grown to like a more laid back sound. I rebuilt the Avance crossovers to tame them a bit.

I'm rambling. I do like the JBL sound, if you don't buy their Best Buy offerings they make some great gear. The 9900 are insane...but so is the price!

My Gedlee cabinets should be done this week. Hoping to get them assembled in a week or two after to begin testing. Jeez, huge gamble here. $3k for something I've never heard!
Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Many people like a little extra bass and midbass. I'd rather be a tad heavy on bass than too light. When I was playing around with my JBL setup, I was using a White Instruments Paramedic DSP, and I could EQ whatever I wanted. So I dialed it in as flat as I could. With one sub doing bass I could get it pretty darn flat from about 20Hz to about 14kHz, at which point my big compression drivers were done. And it sounded great. And then I dialed in a house curve, so I sloped down 0.25dB per octave. Just a gradual slope, heavy on the bass and light on the treble, and liked it even more.

I used to like a more 'detailed' sound, bought some Avance monitors in about 2002 that were brighter up top. Over the years I've grown to like a more laid back sound. I rebuilt the Avance crossovers to tame them a bit.

I'm rambling. I do like the JBL sound, if you don't buy their Best Buy offerings they make some great gear. The 9900 are insane...but so is the price!

My Gedlee cabinets should be done this week. Hoping to get them assembled in a week or two after to begin testing. Jeez, huge gamble here. $3k for something I've never heard!
Sounds like you are about to have fun with them coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Looking forward to getting those monoblock amps from GF. Some people online say my JBL Studio 590 speakers sound a lot better at their recommended limit of 250 wpc. They're rated 6 ohm, so the monoblocks should deliver very nearly that 250 wpc (they are rated 200 wpc at 8 ohm, and 300 wpc at 4 ohm.)

By the way, in case anyone is interested: those Studio 590 speakers are back on sale for $475 each delivered, with free shipping both ways if you decide to return them.
Definitely let us know what you think of the new amps paired with the JBLs.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:07 PM
SOA

Just received the new amps! No cosmetic damage. Thanks, GF, for the great job packing them!

I'll have to hook them up and test them tonight. I'll report back!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:52 PM
SOA

I got a break in the day and hooked them up. Only got to listen to a couple of songs, but I definitely notice a difference. Better separation of instruments and vocals, more "focused" sound to each. I also noticed I could play it almost painfully loud before getting even a hint of distortion. Heck, I don't know if I'm actually hearing distortion or if it's just more "revealing " at that volume level.

I'm now very happy with my sound! Thanks!

Last edited by Egghead; 05-11-2017 at 06:12 PM..
Old 05-12-2017, 12:25 AM
SOA

I've taken the time this evening to listen more critically. Everything is now "sized right" in the sound. A cymbal clang comes from exactly the amount of left-to-right space that one would expect. Multiple singing voices now have their own defined space as well (as long as the group is fairly small, of course.)

This is what I was looking for. Extremely pleased with the sound I got for my budget.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 05-12-2017, 01:25 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I've taken the time this evening to listen more critically. Everything is now "sized right" in the sound. A cymbal clang comes from exactly the amount of left-to-right space that one would expect. Multiple singing voices now have their own defined space as well (as long as the group is fairly small, of course.)

This is what I was looking for. Extremely pleased with the sound I got for my budget.

Thanks again for all the help!
Nice! I'm glad you like them. I was happy when I used the Outlaw amps on my Klipsch, and they do a good job on my subs as well. Just good, clean power, and quite a lot of it.

I finally swapped out my TV stand for one that will fit my Klipsch center channel. And scrapped my MiniDSP, it refuses to connect to my laptop, so I'm going back to my Paramedic unit.

So I've thought for years that tube amps were all hype. With one exception, and that was theoretical. Solid state amps suffer from something called 'crossover distortion,' which isn't related to what you think of when you hear the word 'crossover.' It relates to some non-linear behavior when switching from + to - voltage and vice versa, which happens quite a lot with audio signals. Normally it's a non-issue, but with really high-efficiency speakers you're operating at very low voltages, and I've wondered if having an amp without crossover distortion might help. Bear in mind, my Klipsch will do 101dB with one watt of input, they are crazy efficient. Your JBL require eight times the power to reach a given SPL.

So I bought a Dynaco tube amp - it's old. But it's been refurbished, so it's a nice little amp - 35 watts per channel. I hooked it up once and liked it. Then went back to the receiver. Then tonight, back to they Dynaco. My ears are saying the Dynaco sounds better. Not a ton better, just things like cymbals are more realistic, and perhaps the imaging is a bit better. My brain and my ears are currently having an argument. More on that later.

In other news, expect me to be pestering you for tips on smoking meat this summer. It's time to fire up my Weber Smokey Mountain, I'm thinking brisket. And ribs. And I want to BBQ for my staff, one of whom is a 'fishatarian,' so maybe salmon.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:26 AM
SOA

I'll happily share tips for smoking meat! Shoot your questions my way, and I'll share what I know.

Stayed up way too late tonight listening to the new system. I find that I'm listening at louder levels ... because I can. Interestingly, classical music is what I most want to blast. The realism of classical improves dramatically at higher volumes.

I've made playlists of recommended audiophile recordings. Some of these recordings seemed like a bit of a jumbled mess before. But with the added amp power, I now see why audiophiles recommend them. It takes a good system to get the necessary imaging/separation for those tracks to "make sense." Suddenly, you realize what mastery it requires for these musicians to play such different tunes/rhythms at the same time, and yet come together to make a very cool combined melody.

Must. Get. Sleep...
Old 05-13-2017, 12:43 AM
SOA AAA

Glad they are working out so far! I really like Outlaw, NAD, and Adcom gear. The prices aren't crazy, and the build quality is top notch.

Earl Geddes emailed me today. The drivers are on their way, cabinets likely done next week. I have all the crossover parts and need to solder them up. Getting pretty excited to finally get to hear these. I've been wanting to hear these for years.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:13 AM
SOA

For my next purchase, I'm trying to figure out if I can optimize my sound coming through Tidal. Currently, I'm using my MacBook Pro connected through HDMI. The desktop app does the decoding of MQA. But they say I could be losing some sound quality over HDMI. Any truth to that?

Other options would be a Bluesound Node 2, which has the MQA decoding built in, and could connect directly through analog out. Or I could get a Meridian Explorer 2 (Meridian apparently contributed to the MQA logic.)

Thoughts?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:24 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
For my next purchase, I'm trying to figure out if I can optimize my sound coming through Tidal. Currently, I'm using my MacBook Pro connected through HDMI. The desktop app does the decoding of MQA. But they say I could be losing some sound quality over HDMI. Any truth to that?

Other options would be a Bluesound Node 2, which has the MQA decoding built in, and could connect directly through analog out. Or I could get a Meridian Explorer 2 (Meridian apparently contributed to the MQA logic.)

Thoughts?
Jeez, I'm in over my head on all the newfangled audio formats and decoding.

Why are they worried about losing quality over HDMI? Those cables carry 4k 3D video at 120 fps or whatever, they support massive bandwidth.

In the old world, the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) did make a difference. Basically, the cheap ones had lower resolution - 1-bit DACs were common. You could get some performance by going with a 16 or 20-bit DAC. But, this may be moot, with computer CPUs likely having waaaaay more than 20-bit resolution.

Curious to hear what you learn, but beyond speculation I'm not likely to be much help.