Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:55 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
3) Bass is not only "too loud" for ears, but for the whole body, and the whole room (and house) as well!
That's a benefit, imo. Although I once nearly knocked a cup off of a table with my subs, that would have been a negative, I suppose. My wife grabbed it before it went overboard.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
That's a benefit, imo. Although I once nearly knocked a cup off of a table with my subs, that would have been a negative, I suppose. My wife grabbed it before it went overboard.
Yet another benefit to agile wives!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:29 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Yeah I'm the guy that loves to have good bass and subwoofer in the car, and the rest of the family wants to always turn it all down.

Born in the wrong family imo.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:29 AM
CAS

Use that to test whether your current gf/wife is worth marrying/divorcing imo.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:02 PM
SOA

I like "good" bass in the car, but nothing crazy. I never was a fan of the cars that can "thump." But especially now that one of my ears has a nasty condition where it's over-sensitive to loud noises. Most people's ears have this little muscle that protects your eardrum when exposed to loud sounds. That little muscle is shot in my left ear.

What's interesting is that I like music around 85 dB. But much louder than that, and I'm suffering. So it's this weird balancing act.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:19 PM
CAS

Yeah i don't blast it but some people just don't want any bass

Old 08-02-2018, 12:21 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

I like some bass in the car but Iíve got fairly realistic expectations these days. Almost done fabricating a box for my Chevy that will hold a 10Ē JL sub. Itís one of the cheaper ones (10TW-1), so not a monster sub, itís rated to handle 250w. I think I will be really content with that level of bass. And the box fits under the trunk floor so Iím not losing any cargo space.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM
SOA AAA

I just don't want it ALL about that bass....

It's just seems to be at improper levels in the TV shows/movies I'm watching.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I just don't want it ALL about that bass....

It's just seems to be at improper levels in the TV shows/movies I'm watching.
Based on what you've said about your kids, I suspect we may be similar in age. You may be experiencing age-related hearing loss. It deteriorates pretty quickly in the 40s and 50s, mainly in the upper end of the spectrum. So it could be that you're increasing the volume to better hear speech and/or the treble end of the spectrum. When you do, that causes the bass to become a LOT more audible, at a faster "rate" than the higher end. That is, it will sound to you like you're raising the volume on the bass more than you are the rest of the frequency spectrum (see those graphs I linked to in a post yesterday).

Some modern receivers have added a functionality where you can boost the dialogue separately from all the other sound in movies and TV shows. Lots of us older dudes can benefit from that.

Also, if you get something with Audyssey XT32, it includes Dynamic EQ. So it will increase the volume of treble and mid much faster than it does bass, so that you don't blow yourself out of the room with the bass in an effort to hear the higher frequencies.

Man, I sound like a salesman...
Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Based on what you've said about your kids, I suspect we may be similar in age. You may be experiencing age-related hearing loss. It deteriorates pretty quickly in the 40s and 50s, mainly in the upper end of the spectrum. So it could be that you're increasing the volume to better hear speech and/or the treble end of the spectrum. When you do, that causes the bass to become a LOT more audible, at a faster "rate" than the higher end. That is, it will sound to you like you're raising the volume on the bass more than you are the rest of the frequency spectrum (see those graphs I linked to in a post yesterday).

Some modern receivers have added a functionality where you can boost the dialogue separately from all the other sound in movies and TV shows. Lots of us older dudes can benefit from that.

Also, if you get something with Audyssey XT32, it includes Dynamic EQ. So it will increase the volume of treble and mid much faster than it does bass, so that you don't blow yourself out of the room with the bass in an effort to hear the higher frequencies.

Man, I sound like a salesman...

Dynamic EQ seems like it would be a no-brainer for TV volume.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler: