Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #611  
Old 08-01-2018, 07:55 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
3) Bass is not only "too loud" for ears, but for the whole body, and the whole room (and house) as well!
That's a benefit, imo. Although I once nearly knocked a cup off of a table with my subs, that would have been a negative, I suppose. My wife grabbed it before it went overboard.
Reply With Quote
  #612  
Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
That's a benefit, imo. Although I once nearly knocked a cup off of a table with my subs, that would have been a negative, I suppose. My wife grabbed it before it went overboard.
Yet another benefit to agile wives!
Reply With Quote
  #613  
Old 08-02-2018, 11:29 AM
ronaldy27's Avatar
ronaldy27 ronaldy27 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 'Murica
Studying for the credential
Posts: 3,056
Default

Yeah I'm the guy that loves to have good bass and subwoofer in the car, and the rest of the family wants to always turn it all down.

Born in the wrong family imo.
__________________
Spoiler - for size:



Reply With Quote
  #614  
Old 08-02-2018, 11:29 AM
ronaldy27's Avatar
ronaldy27 ronaldy27 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 'Murica
Studying for the credential
Posts: 3,056
Default

Use that to test whether your current gf/wife is worth marrying/divorcing imo.
__________________
Spoiler - for size:



Reply With Quote
  #615  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,647
Default

I like "good" bass in the car, but nothing crazy. I never was a fan of the cars that can "thump." But especially now that one of my ears has a nasty condition where it's over-sensitive to loud noises. Most people's ears have this little muscle that protects your eardrum when exposed to loud sounds. That little muscle is shot in my left ear.

What's interesting is that I like music around 85 dB. But much louder than that, and I'm suffering. So it's this weird balancing act.
Reply With Quote
  #616  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:19 PM
ronaldy27's Avatar
ronaldy27 ronaldy27 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 'Murica
Studying for the credential
Posts: 3,056
Default

Yeah i don't blast it but some people just don't want any bass
__________________
Spoiler - for size:



Reply With Quote
  #617  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:21 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,159
Default

I like some bass in the car but Iíve got fairly realistic expectations these days. Almost done fabricating a box for my Chevy that will hold a 10Ē JL sub. Itís one of the cheaper ones (10TW-1), so not a monster sub, itís rated to handle 250w. I think I will be really content with that level of bass. And the box fits under the trunk floor so Iím not losing any cargo space.
Reply With Quote
  #618  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 93,537
Default

I just don't want it ALL about that bass....

It's just seems to be at improper levels in the TV shows/movies I'm watching.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
  #619  
Old 08-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I just don't want it ALL about that bass....

It's just seems to be at improper levels in the TV shows/movies I'm watching.
Based on what you've said about your kids, I suspect we may be similar in age. You may be experiencing age-related hearing loss. It deteriorates pretty quickly in the 40s and 50s, mainly in the upper end of the spectrum. So it could be that you're increasing the volume to better hear speech and/or the treble end of the spectrum. When you do, that causes the bass to become a LOT more audible, at a faster "rate" than the higher end. That is, it will sound to you like you're raising the volume on the bass more than you are the rest of the frequency spectrum (see those graphs I linked to in a post yesterday).

Some modern receivers have added a functionality where you can boost the dialogue separately from all the other sound in movies and TV shows. Lots of us older dudes can benefit from that.

Also, if you get something with Audyssey XT32, it includes Dynamic EQ. So it will increase the volume of treble and mid much faster than it does bass, so that you don't blow yourself out of the room with the bass in an effort to hear the higher frequencies.

Man, I sound like a salesman...
Reply With Quote
  #620  
Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Ito's Phlegm's Avatar
Ito's Phlegm Ito's Phlegm is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 15,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Based on what you've said about your kids, I suspect we may be similar in age. You may be experiencing age-related hearing loss. It deteriorates pretty quickly in the 40s and 50s, mainly in the upper end of the spectrum. So it could be that you're increasing the volume to better hear speech and/or the treble end of the spectrum. When you do, that causes the bass to become a LOT more audible, at a faster "rate" than the higher end. That is, it will sound to you like you're raising the volume on the bass more than you are the rest of the frequency spectrum (see those graphs I linked to in a post yesterday).

Some modern receivers have added a functionality where you can boost the dialogue separately from all the other sound in movies and TV shows. Lots of us older dudes can benefit from that.

Also, if you get something with Audyssey XT32, it includes Dynamic EQ. So it will increase the volume of treble and mid much faster than it does bass, so that you don't blow yourself out of the room with the bass in an effort to hear the higher frequencies.

Man, I sound like a salesman...


Dynamic EQ seems like it would be a no-brainer for TV volume.
__________________
Spoiler:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"


AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.39947 seconds with 10 queries