Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Economics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Studying for new job
Favorite beer: H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldon View Post
I did pretty much the same thing, studied for a weekend and decided to just sign up for the first sittings I could get before I even started reading the Macro stuff since I knew it would take a week or two to be able to actually sit for it. Got 78/80 on both, and hadn't done economics since High School (though I definitely was more comfortable with Micro than Macro; I felt I should have passed Macro, but probably got a little lucky to get 78).

I keep telling people I work with to take the CLEP, but they usually don't listen because of the hassle with finding a site compared to taking the NEAS at home. Oh well, their loss
So it is offered on a year-round basis and you can sign up for it anytime you want?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 AM
CAS

Studying for N/A

Yeah, you could sign up and take it next week if you wanted to.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryGale View Post
So it is offered on a year-round basis and you can sign up for it anytime you want?
The exact offerings depend on the test site. The two nearest to me differed in that one offered it throughout the year while the other put out a quarterly schedule that skipped some weeks, only had a day or two per week, etc. Test time slots were fixed at both sites (9:30 and 2:00, I think both were, but there were days when only a single time slot was offered at the sites).

When I took the micro test, I called the test site in the morning and was able to take the test in the afternoon. For the macro test, I had to set a date a few days ahead of time to get an opening.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Do you need to be a student somewhere to take the CLEP? I mean, if you have a degree, can you still take it?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM
CAS

Studying for N/A

Yes, anyone can take it.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Anyone can take it, but some testing centers are not open to the public. The tests are generally offered in colleges and it is apparently up to them whether or not they limit who can take the test. There's a list on the CLEP website that lists which ones are open and which aren't. By far most are open sites, though.

It seems like a lot of the policies are set by the testing center. They are allowed to set their own fees (I had to make two separate payments - one directly to CLEP, the other to the testing center). Some are very flexible as to when you can take tests and others have only a few set time slots devoted to CLEP exams.

The two testing centers closest to me (both within 5 miles) differed by $10, I think. The cheaper had about half a dozen time slots a week and they didn't offer the tests every week. You had to always schedule in advance with them. The more expensive offered the test a couple times every day and pretty much always had an open slot.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Default CLEP Micro

For the CLEP micro exam, do you only need to read the Micro parts of Cracking the AP? It just seems so insanely short...

Thank you so much. As someone who has so many VEEs to take, it's a relief to be able to breeze through at least one.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotted View Post
For the CLEP micro exam, do you only need to read the Micro parts of Cracking the AP? It just seems so insanely short...

Thank you so much. As someone who has so many VEEs to take, it's a relief to be able to breeze through at least one.
Yep, that's it.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Default CLEP grading

Hello,
Does anyone know how scoring works on CLEP? Is it better to leave an answer blank or is it better to guess?

Thanks.