Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Economics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:46 PM
SOA

You apply for it...
Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Studying for C
College: Texas A&M Alumni

Does this work for both macro and micro? Also, can you do this even if you have graduated?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaldez84 View Post
Does this work for both macro and micro? Also, can you do this even if you have graduated?
Yep. They're two separate tests. You needn't take them at the same time. First study and take the micro (as a little of the content is also tested again in macro), then study and take the macro. The same study materials mentioned in this thread cover both the micro and the macro. CLEP doesn't care whether or not you've graduated. Some test centers only administer the test to people who attend that college, but by far most are open to the public. The CLEP website lists the ones that are open to the public.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 PM

Default Old version really doesn't matter?

I have a 2000-2001 version of "Cracking the AP Economics" from the local library, which seems to give me the impression the test contains 60 multiple choice questions and 20 free response, and 0.25 penalty for guessing wrong. I believe the current test contains 80 multiple without any free response nor penalty for wrong guessing.

Is the material very much different than the 2008 version? Should I get a newer version? And if so what is the earliest acceptable version?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Note Contributor

Studying for Exam C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
I have a 2000-2001 version of "Cracking the AP Economics" from the local library, which seems to give me the impression the test contains 60 multiple choice questions and 20 free response, and 0.25 penalty for guessing wrong. I believe the current test contains 80 multiple without any free response nor penalty for wrong guessing.

Is the material very much different than the 2008 version? Should I get a newer version? And if so what is the earliest acceptable version?

Thanks in advance.
The test with 60 multiple choice questions and 20 free response questions, with a guessing penalty is the AP exam. The CLEP exam has 80 multiple choice questions, and no guessing penalty.

"Theoria cum praxis." Gottfried von Leibniz
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Note Contributor

Studying for Exam C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post

Thanks in advance.
I have no idea if the material differs from the 2001 to the 2008 versions, but I used the 2001 version and it worked just fine. I think the basic syllabus for both Micro and Macro has not changed in a long, long time. The only "recent" change would have been in the early 1990s when there was a change from GNP to GDP as the primary means of measuring domestic economic activity in the U.S.

"Theoria cum praxis." Gottfried von Leibniz
Old 08-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Just a quick note...the CLEP is by far the way to go with Econ. I have passed some Actuary exams, but honestly had no background with anything in Econ. With just a minimal amount of studying I was able to pass Microeconomics with room to spare.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

I took Macro today, studied about 12 hours, but this time my scaled score went up from 58 to 71, what made the difference? I read the questions and answers much more carefully this time, also I personally like Macro better (subjects are more indepth). I don't know why anyone would bother with any other options, in fact, I wish I would've known CLEP when I was a freshmen in college, it would've saved me a lot of money.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Default My success story...

Micro last week.

Macro this week.

Both scores in 60s. (Passing = 53).

Study time ~ 45 hours total. A bit overkill probably, but I like to be prepared.

Resources (all free):

Library: AP Cracking Economics (2000-2001 ed), CLEP Offical Study Guide (19th Edition),

Sparks notes

http://sparkcharts.sparknotes.com/ec...acroeconomics/

The Power of Microeconomics (Narrated PowerPoint)

The Power of Macroeconomics (Narrated PowerPoint)

http://web.gsm.uci.edu/~navarro/download.htm

Last edited by KingFish; 08-21-2008 at 04:52 PM..
Old 08-23-2008, 02:58 PM
SOA AAA

College: Go Gators!!!

CLEP is definatley the way to go. I took it at a local community college and it was a $70 fee for each from CLEP and an additional $25 each for the college. It was a 80 question test in 90 minutes. I did go back over my answers at the end, and I still had about 20 minutes left over after both. I took them both the same day, with a 30 minute break between, which I used to just relax, and look at a graph or two. I only used Cracking the AP (which I had to get through an interlibrary loan) and the CLEP book. Total study time, around 10 hours. Passed with a 60 and 64. I was an economics major in college, but that was quite a few years ago.