Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Economics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:35 PM
Non-Actuary

College: you have never heard of it
Favorite beer: chocolate milk
Default CLEP transcript posting timelines

I have combed this forum and been unable to find where someone has posted their specific timeline. So if anyone can point me to an instance, it would be appreciated.

Here's mine:

CLEP Macro passed: 2/7/2017
CLEP Micro passed: 3/20/2018
SOA Transcript request submitted: 3/20/2018
SOA Acknowledgement Email: TBA
SOA Transcript Updated: TBA
Old 03-28-2018, 10:08 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA Module & Exam
Favorite beer: Summer Ale

I had Micro in college, but here is mine for Macro:

CLEP Marco Passed: 3/26/18
SOA Transcript Request Submitted: 3/26/18
SOA Acknowledgement Email: TBA
SOA Transcript Updated: TBA

Also, it's a very easy exam. I started studying less than a week before, but had a lot of other things also going on during the week. I used the ACDC Econ videos and paid the guy $12 for his review packet. I had the Cracking the AP book too. I only looked up something once in it, and I didn't have time to do the practice exam from it. I did the 2 practice exams from the ACDC Ultimate Review packet though. Very similar to questions on the exam. Highly recommend this route for anyone who needs the Econ VEE. It's cheap & super easy.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Non-Actuary

I agree, ashley7491, the $12 Ultimate Review Packet makes things easy. It also has everything you need and is extremely well organized, thorough, and quick. It is also as entertaining as one could hope.

I will also mention that I was paranoid about the transcripts from CLEP getting there on time (April 27th HARD deadline from the SOA) so I forked over an extra $20 (on March 26th) to have CLEP send an additional transcript just in case there is mail or administrative failure.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:01 PM
SOA

rgreenlee, it says it should be there in 10 days on the print out I got from the test site. Did you see something that made you think it would be longer? I figured I would check-in with the SOA if I don't see anything by April 15th even though the email says not to contact them for 4 weeks.

I did re-send my transcript from school since I applied for the other VEEs over a year ago. I didn't know if the SOA keeps our transcripts or not. I couldn't find any information (but didn't call and ask) so I paid the small fee my alma mater charges to send it again. It says something about 7-10 business days as well.

For reference: the last time I applied for VEE credit, I got the confirmation email 8 days afterwards. I'm not sure if now is a high volume time or not so it may take longer. My guess is that they are a little busier than usual.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley7491 View Post
rgreenlee, it says it should be there in 10 days on the print out I got from the test site. Did you see something that made you think it would be longer? I figured I would check-in with the SOA if I don't see anything by April 15th even though the email says not to contact them for 4 weeks.

I did re-send my transcript from school since I applied for the other VEEs over a year ago. I didn't know if the SOA keeps our transcripts or not. I couldn't find any information (but didn't call and ask) so I paid the small fee my alma mater charges to send it again. It says something about 7-10 business days as well.

For reference: the last time I applied for VEE credit, I got the confirmation email 8 days afterwards. I'm not sure if now is a high volume time or not so it may take longer. My guess is that they are a little busier than usual.
No, I didn't see something that made me think longer. There is a small chance that a USPS snafu would delay my transcript beyond mid April. So, in the case of CLEP, I paid an extra $20 as a sort of insurance against this.

In the worst case scenario, the papers wouldn't make it in time and I would get my ASA almost a year later (a year's worth of ASA salary difference and hard to measure career advancement cost). So it seems like a no-brainer to fork over $20 extra.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:35 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenlee View Post
No, I didn't see something that made me think longer. There is a small chance that a USPS snafu would delay my transcript beyond mid April. So, in the case of CLEP, I paid an extra $20 as a sort of insurance against this.

In the worst case scenario, the papers wouldn't make it in time and I would get my ASA almost a year later (a year's worth of ASA salary difference and hard to measure career advancement cost). So it seems like a no-brainer to fork over $20 extra.
Does the SOA's deadline refer to when you have to pass the VEE or when the paperwork has to be in? If it's not specific, I would assume the former... and I bet you would win that argument with the SOA if your hypothetical USPS snafu actually occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:36 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

I agree that there's no question about forking over the extra $20 for the peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Last date to submit VEE candidate credit applications* April 27, 2018

*All paper applications and any required documentation or transcripts must be received at the SOA office by the dates listed above.
https://www.soa.org/Education/Genera...ransition.aspx
Old 03-28-2018, 03:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Does the SOA's deadline refer to when you have to pass the VEE or when the paperwork has to be in? If it's not specific, I would assume the former... and I bet you would win that argument with the SOA if your hypothetical USPS snafu actually occurred.
"*All paper applications and any required documentation or transcripts must be received at the SOA office by the dates listed above." Looks like everything does have to be there by the 27th of April. I would agree that you could win an argument if a hypothetical USPS snafu occurred, but insurance is also nice. I'm thinking now if I'll do that. I have been checking my college transcript request like crazy though. It looks like they sent it today.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Genera...ransition.aspx
Old 03-28-2018, 06:08 PM
SOA AAA ASPPA

I just passed my last VEE Econ exam and I will do exactly what rgreenlee suggested to insure against the small possibility that the CLEP transcript will not get to SOA timely. I would be very pissed if I did not make it to the ASA list due to admin delay!