Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 AM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
I'm very impressed by this. My wife has iphone; I wish I could switch but the guides to do so make it seem like a pain.
As someone that switched from iPhone to pixel 2 it wasn't too painful.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
Another vote for OnePlus. I got a 3T a few years ago and loved it, very good update support from the company and not a lot of bloat over standard Android. I'd be happily using it still but I lost it earlier this year and have been waiting for the 6T to become available to replace it. Only a few more weeks to wait.
I'm still using the OP3T and don't feel a need to upgrade. This will be the first time that I use a phone for a third year. (Might have tried with the OP1, but a run-in with a church floor put a quick end to that idea.) Still does everything I need and runs smoothly and snappily. I will admit to being tempted by the Pixel 3's camera but not $700-$800 tempted. (Maybe I'll splurge next year on the Pixel 4 after telling myself about all the money I saved by not upgrading at all this year.)

For better and worse technological progress in this area has really plateaued lately. There are still some nifty things happening, but the leaps made between (in my case) LG Optimus V --> Nexus 4 --> OP1 --> OP3T were so much bigger than the marginal improvements in screen and camera that are on offer now.

(Biggest tech upgrade I've made lately is getting the Google Hub with the screen. I love that it works just like old Google Home when I'm not looking at it but has the extra screen features when I do. Seeing old photos pop up on it is a nice bonus.)

Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
do some phone manufacturers and service providers still make hot spotting difficult or costly? i've used oneplus phones with straight talk or cricket for a few years now. hot spot is simple, fast, no extra cost
?

Cricket requires you have a specific plan (don't remember which one but definitely higher than the base plan) and charges you a monthly fee to use your phone as a hotspot.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 AM
CAS

Quote:
do some phone manufacturers and service providers still make hot spotting difficult or costly? i've used oneplus phones with straight talk or cricket for a few years now. hot spot is simple, fast, no extra cost
I previously used one of the AT&T resellers, StraighTalk, maybe, or another brand in that company. When I tried to set up a hot spot, it said, "you need to contact AT&T." And of course, I had no business relationship with AT&T, and couldn't do that. Maybe there was some hack I could have used to get around the restriction, but in practice, I was never able to set up a hot spot, or even tether. With my current phone, I just looked up the hot spot app and set it up. It worked with no fuss at all. It was even automatically copied into my window-shade of frequently-used system stuff.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
?

Cricket requires you have a specific plan (don't remember which one but definitely higher than the base plan) and charges you a monthly fee to use your phone as a hotspot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I previously used one of the AT&T resellers, StraighTalk, maybe, or another brand in that company. When I tried to set up a hot spot, it said, "you need to contact AT&T." And of course, I had no business relationship with AT&T, and couldn't do that. Maybe there was some hack I could have used to get around the restriction, but in practice, I was never able to set up a hot spot, or even tether. With my current phone, I just looked up the hot spot app and set it up. It worked with no fuss at all. It was even automatically copied into my window-shade of frequently-used system stuff.
maybe it's a benefit of using a oneplus phone, i don't know. my cricket plan provides 8 gb high speed data, so i guess it isn't a base plan. anyway, i never had hotspot or tethering issues with oneplus and ST or cricket. no "contact carrier" messages, extra fees or any of that stuff. it just works
Old 11-09-2018, 12:25 PM
CAS

Interesting. I, also, wonder if that was a quirk of oneplus. I have certainly benefited from using a not-totally-standard thing in other situations.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

I use Mobile Hotspot occasionally, also on my OnePlus. (Usually when I wanna read comic books on my tablet during my kids music lessons.) I'm still on that super-cheapo $30 Tmo plan that they stopped selling 2 years ago now. It's not even an app, just a toggle in the settings. Never had any difficulties with it. Hadn't considered that it might be a maker-specific thing.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:52 PM
CAS

yeah, it's a standard option in system settings. fwiw, i'm not rooted or anything - just a stock setup
Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
yeah, it's a standard option in system settings. fwiw, i'm not rooted or anything - just a stock setup
My current one is actually a system setting, although I'm not sure there's a bright line between "app" and "system setting".
Old 11-09-2018, 05:37 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I'll add that on Cricket and ST with my various Nexuses and Pixels, I could not get hotspot to work. They couldn't even add it as an option because I didn't have a garbage Cricket specific phone that was supported.