Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Website Ideas - Comments > Announcements
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Can Tom ban Mods? That's what I want to know.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Lucy

Of course.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:28 AM

I can't wait.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
We've had some problems with bullying, baiting, trolling, random alts, etc. For this special group of characters, we have an all expenses paid, 3 day vacation from the AO. For alts that pop up after being banned, they will win our grand prize, A 14 DAY VACATION!

If these don't solve some of the issues that have been going on, we'll move to the next step, which is banning home IP addresses, which means, you will not be able to access the AO server, period.

[ET]Beee Gooood,[ET]

Tom
I'm trying to be careful in how I say this. Does baiting and trolling include the types of threads bumped? When a certain type of thread makes up a number of posts on the first page of the new thread and they are being bumped for no good reason other than to troll, instigate, bait, and just tick people off, would this fit under these new rules?

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abused Student View Post
I'm trying to be careful in how I say this. Does baiting and trolling include the types of threads bumped? When a certain type of thread makes up a number of posts on the first page of the new thread and they are being bumped for no good reason other than to troll, instigate, bait, and just tick people off, would this fit under these new rules?
I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. It might depend on degree. If the posts themselves are OK, it's probably not a violation even if it has the effect of moving threads to the top of the "recent activity" list. If overdone, which would be more a function of the number of threads bumped than the number of times a thread was bumped, that would be a problem. Even before these new rules, occasionally people got infractions for lots of no-content posts apparently to be annoying, bumping lots of old threads while posting no new content etc. It was never much of a problem but it happened.

Posting in a single thread "too much", to annoy the other people posting in that thread, could be a problem. That's my take, anyway. Mods don't always agree 100% of where to draw lines.

One observation about the new rules: So far we haven't given any 3-day or 14-day holidays until at least 2 mods have agreed. Any mod could apply it unilaterally, but it's unlikely any will.

Also, for the 14-day vacations we plan to be strict. When one id is temp-banned, posters should realize they need to change that behavior. Conduct that might be only worth a warning normally, especially if it was the first time it happened, or any conduct that would normally be a one-point point infraction, is likely to mean 14 days if one id is already banned. Again, provided 2 or more mods agree.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it

Would that be for all alts of the perpretrator or would that person be able to come back with another alt and act better and be allowed to stay? I feel being allowed to do that does not have the desired effect of a "vacation"

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator1 View Post
Posting in a single thread "too much", to annoy the other people posting in that thread, could be a problem. That's my take, anyway. Mods don't always agree 100% of where to draw lines.
What does this mean? What if you just have a lot to say on the topic or are answering other people who address you directly and it has nothing to do with trying to annoy people. Certain people tend to get annoyed just because they dislike a certain poster and don't wish to see them posting at all.
Spoiler:
Old 04-16-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
What does this mean? What if you just have a lot to say on the topic or are answering other people who address you directly and it has nothing to do with trying to annoy people. Certain people tend to get annoyed just because they dislike a certain poster and don't wish to see them posting at all.
Having a lot to say is fine, as long as the posts themselves aren't annoying, insulting, trolling , etc. Answering other people who address you directly is fine, as long as the posts themselves aren't annoying, insulting, trolling , etc. The more content in the posts, the more acceptable.

As an example of something that wouldn't be OK, posting too often would be a bad idea. doesn't have much content, and can have high annoyance value, increasing in annoyance the more it's used. I'm not defining how many would be too many.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Fully expecting to get some s in response to that post, and would even smile at some.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Surprisingly Not a Troll, MD
Non-Actuary

Studying for fellating shellfish
College: Alma Madda, Alma Fadda
Favorite beer: Anything Tom tells me isn't total crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator1 View Post
Having a lot to say is fine, as long as the posts themselves aren't annoying, insulting, trolling , etc. Answering other people who address you directly is fine, as long as the posts themselves aren't annoying, insulting, trolling , etc. The more content in the posts, the more acceptable.

As an example of something that wouldn't be OK, posting too often would be a bad idea. doesn't have much content, and can have high annoyance value, increasing in annoyance the more it's used. I'm not defining how many would be too many.
Closed Thread