Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Website Ideas - Comments > Make a Suggestion or Report a Problem Here
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:29 PM

Default Need Anon IDs, maybe?

Several threads that are occasionally in Employment, for example this:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=320358

could benefit from the ability of posters to post anonymously. I can think of several problems and several work-arounds, but no real clear-cut answer. Was wondering if Tom and/or the Mods had considered this?

Problems:
You're basically inviting trolling
We've decided not to have truly anonymous posts for a reason
It's hard for people (especially if the thread is active for a longer period of time) to remember which response was theirs, or even if they've already responded

Work-arounds for some of those problems (not necessarily all):
We could have a designated ID (I'd be glad to run it for Employment) that accepts PMs and then posts them anonymously
We could have an ID designated for such a thread with a publicly posted log-in and the ID is limited to posting only in that thread or perhaps only the Employment threads.
Is there a technology solution for this with the website software?

Westley's career tools:
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM

you can make as many alts as you want. I'm not seeing why this suggestion is necessary at all.
Spoiler:
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

From a professional ethics stand point: the "truly anonymous posting" is inviting questions/discussions that might find itself creeping into the "proprietary information" area.

And there would be the issue of having the appearance of inviting discussions about information that would be "proprietary" . . . I'm not sure that our site sponsor would appreciate this.

From a logistical perspective: You'll need quite a few people to "man" those truly anonymous venues to prevent (intentional) mis-information from percolating . . . especially when someone ends up with a sour taste in their mouth from a (former) employer.

If anything, it might be useful to have some form of "official vetting" by Tom/full-time mods to indicate those posters who are viewed to be "trustworthy" to share information from those who wish to remain anonymous. Perhaps a fleur-de-lis pin (like the one below) could be used for this purpose?

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
you can make as many alts as you want. I'm not seeing why this suggestion is necessary at all.
Not everyone knows how to do this . . . not to mention the wait time to get one activated . . . or that they're able to vary their posting style so as to remain unassociated with a main ID.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 03-20-2017, 01:04 PM
It's a funny name.

yeah, increasing the administrative burden around here sounds like a great way to go. you know, since the response time is already so fast and current problems are resolved so quickly.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
yeah, increasing the administrative burden around here sounds like a great way to go. you know, since the response time is already so fast and current problems are resolved so quickly.
Well, I've basically volunteered to take on the admin burden for the Employment threads (which is the only area where it's obvious to me that this would be helpful/valuable), if there's a way to make it work.

Separately (and mostly unrelated to the thread itself) I don't see a lot of problems that take a long time to resolve (where "not resolved as you or I would like" isn't the same as "takes a long time"), but YMMV.

Westley's career tools:
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
they're able to vary their posting style so as to remain unassociated with a main ID.
Hi anonymous poster here.... you lot are all wrong tbh but not surprising that you don't understand how us elites think...

Note that having anon IDs or whatever doesn't really solve that, although if people are PMing comments to a Mod or something, maybe that person catches it and makes changes.

Westley's career tools:
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Well, I've basically volunteered to take on the admin burden for the Employment threads (which is the only area where it's obvious to me that this would be helpful/valuable), if there's a way to make it work.

Separately (and mostly unrelated to the thread itself) I don't see a lot of problems that take a long time to resolve (where "not resolved as you or I would like" isn't the same as "takes a long time"), but YMMV.
yeah, Tom sure is a hands-on participant. ask the mods what his turnaround time is like for requests.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
Non-Actuary

Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I've basically volunteered to take on the admin burden for the Employment threads.
thx but no thx
Old 03-30-2017, 04:07 PM
SOA

Not sure if possible...

but could we have an option to create a thread that would show all users as 'guest' instead of their real username? You would surf and post like normal, but in such a thread, you are just shown as a guest.

an additional option to limit the number of posts in such a thread from a single user (to prevent long arguments and some trolling).