Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-20-2017, 01:05 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Z View Post
I've seen this info somewhere, but cant seem to find it.

Can someone post the recommended time that should be spent on each of the MC questions and how much time per point on the WA q's. Need to start working on my strategy...
The exam is designed to allow 2.5 minutes per point. So that is 5 minutes per MC. For the WA just multiply the points on each problem by 2.5 and that is how much time should be spent.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
The exam is designed to allow 2.5 minutes per point. So that is 5 minutes per MC. For the WA just multiply the points on each problem by 2.5 and that is how much time should be spent.
Thanks, I was looking for something a bit deeper.

Since MC problems are typically easier than the written answer ones, i think those points should be allocated differently. Perhaps like ScarletGrey wrote to try allow 2 mins per point on the MC which would give more time for the WA q's.

"It turns out tools are complex; give a tool to a tool, and the result will be negative"
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM
SOA

The exam is designed so that a well prepared student should be able to complete the exam at a pace of 2.5 minutes per point. That's how the SOA wants it so that's how I would approach it. The MC are easier which is why they are only worth two points while the WA are worth much more. You can dig all you want but I don't see the benefit in making things more difficult than they really are. At the end of the day all points are worth the same.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:00 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MLC
College: FSU

Is anyone using the ADAPT WA by topic? I'm working through the reserves right now and #2 is stumping me because I'm not sure why they use 1E30 when calculating a 5 yr endowment on (30).

Additionally, the posted solution is 39615 and the question says show that is 48000 to the nearest 1000.

Since this G gets carried throughout the problem, it's tough to check my answers...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:10 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post
Is anyone using the ADAPT WA by topic? I'm working through the reserves right now and #2 is stumping me because I'm not sure why they use 1E30 when calculating a 5 yr endowment on (30).

Additionally, the posted solution is 39615 and the question says show that is 48000 to the nearest 1000.

Since this G gets carried throughout the problem, it's tough to check my answers...
Just started to use adapt, how do I specify WA? I'm only seeing MC quizzes.

"It turns out tools are complex; give a tool to a tool, and the result will be negative"
Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post

The solution is wrong. If you sub out the E34 term they used with the correct E30 term, the premium calculated is 48,423 - which would match what they said it should be. Unfortunately they carried the wrong premium through to the other parts, so just check your logic and not the actual numbers.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Z View Post
Just started to use adapt, how do I specify WA? I'm only seeing MC quizzes.
Click on "Dashboard". There's a button for "Adapt" (which is the MC quizzes/tests) and also "MLC Written Answer", which has 10 questions per topic.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MLC
College: FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletGrey08 View Post
The solution is wrong. If you sub out the E34 term they used with the correct E30 term, the premium calculated is 48,423 - which would match what they said it should be. Unfortunately they carried the wrong premium through to the other parts, so just check your logic and not the actual numbers.
Thanks, I just saw on the adapt discussion board that Abe had sent an updated solution for them. Hopefully they get it posted soon
Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletGrey08 View Post
Click on "Dashboard". There's a button for "Adapt" (which is the MC quizzes/tests) and also "MLC Written Answer", which has 10 questions per topic.
Thanks! super helpful!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 AM
SOA

Are you guys doing practice exams yet? And if so, how is it going? I tried doing one of the TIA ones and totally bombed it. Overall it was a complete waste of time and so frustrating that it is still effecting my confidence. At this point I think I am going to keep doing practice problems until the last two weeks and then hopefully knock out the six SOA exams. It's a bad situation but I think that is the best I can do at this point.