Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Political Issues
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 08-04-2003, 11:55 PM
SOA AAA

Hehe never fails.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:18 AM
SOA

I knew I could get a Hehe never fails out of J-Rab.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Two more biggies that Bush has done

2Pac left out two biggies:

1. Months before 9/11, Treasusry Sec'y O'Neiel had a major fund-raising strategy session at The Top of World restuarant at the top of one of the South Trade Tower. Purpose? To collect $100k and up from folks who would like to see SS and Medicare privatized and to talk about how to do it. They have now dropped a frontal assault on SS (but have been helping dumb Democrats to lower the SS taxes), but are weakening Medicare with this awful drug bill.

2. The Taliban and El Quada have moved back into eastern Afganistan from Pakistan and are very active. We have squandered our resources--military and financial in a quagmire in Iraq--which was a dodge so that we wouldn't find out Bush's connections to Saudis and his ignoring of Clinton's warnings on El Quada, and assorted other secrets. It isn't just costing us a soldier a day but time--and the money spent there will be in the trillions before we leave. (Could use some of that for actuarially advance funding SS and medicare--whcoh BTW would help the economy enormously in the long run.) The failure to find Osama is described well in the Aug 4, 2003 issue of The New Yorker--perhaps the best in-depth article I have seen on the subject, including the infighting that went on between Rummy and Powell and that Bush made up his mind to get Hussein long before 9-11. 9-11 was just the excuse--and the reason for his turning ever more rightward on a host of other important issues.

His poll numbers were falling greatly before 9-11, which is why he said 'I just hit the Trifecta' afterwards.

They are falling now, but the huge money he has already collected and the huge amounts to come from those 400 major firms who want to escape prosecution for IBM-type cash balance conversions will make it very tough for anyone to defeat him.--but it will be close anyway. I like the guy from Vermont. I prefer Hillary, but we will have to wait 4 more years for her.

Until we have publically funded elections we will continue to have a corrupt government.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:04 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing
Here's two:

1. Civil liberties
2. The environment

Here's a third:

3. The deficit
Hm.

On #1, give him a little break. he is facing an unprecedented security challenge for the US. What would you do, knowing full well that a failure to protect the US means another 9/11 happens. And, what specific civil liberties have you lost?

On #2: Specifics?

On #3: ? Again...a little understanding is in order. The gummint was getting a huge amount of cap gains taxes, and the economy was booming. That dried up as he came into office. And, again, we are at war. The whole Iraq/Afghanistan thing wasn't budgeted. But, in the opinion of some worth the money
Old 08-05-2003, 11:12 AM
CAS

Quote:
Higher unemployment
6.2%. ooooooooo.

Quote:
Lower Dow
You can't think that was Bush's fault.

Quote:
Lower NASDAQ
Amazon at $119 a share. Nuf said.

Quote:
India/Pakistan war
I must have missed that

Quote:
Israel less peaceful
Then what?

Quote:
Record deficits
So.

Quote:
Enron
Bankruptcies? Yup. Those happen. That's called capitalism.

Quote:
Japanese ship sunk by sub full of GOP VIPs
Didn't know Bush was driving the sub. He is a versatile dude, isn't he?

Quote:
Worldcom
Oh no....a telecom bankruptcy. Horrows.

Quote:
American spy plane crashed in China
We got it back. And no war. You should be happy. Could we please have our plane back?? Thanks!

Quote:
9/11 happened (Bush was President at the time, you know, but he was on one of his 1 month vacations)
I guess it's just Clinton's luck that it took them TWO shots to take it down. Because if they got it right the first time you'd be carping about how bad a president Clinton was...or not.

Quote:
No Saddam
There is a Saddam.

Quote:
No Usama
There is an Usama.

Quote:
No resolution of the anthrax attack
Sure there is. They stopped. We didn't find the guy that did it. Maybe, because the gummint did it...

Quote:
No Ken Lay in jail
This really ruins your whole day doesn't it?

Quote:
Doomsday clock moved forward
the WHAT?!

Quote:
Plan Colombia increased
What?

Quote:
California energy crisis
Yeah...don't blame Calfornia or anything. must be Bush's fault.

Quote:
More draconian drug laws
I don't use drugs, so I could care less.

Quote:
That's all I could think of
That is so sad.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekky Tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing
1. Civil liberties
2. The environment
3. The deficit
Hm.

On #1, give him a little break. he is facing an unprecedented security challenge for the US. What would you do, knowing full well that a failure to protect the US means another 9/11 happens. And, what specific civil liberties have you lost?
I'll grant that after 9/11, they "had to do something". I'm just saying what they did went overboard. The Patriot Act has some pretty Orwellian overtones. I do not want anyone to have the ability to track every book I've ever checked out from the library, for instance. And although my own civil liberties have not been curtailed as of yet, I'd rather start the debate about what is appropriate before they are. It bugs me that many hundreds of people were detained without charge and without access to council, for instance.

Quote:
On #2: Specifics?
How about the Kyoto accord? How about just saying "we need more studies" when we could simultaneously be taking some action on fuel efficiency? How about promoting logging as a way of reducing forest fires? How about some arsenic with that water?

Quote:
On #3: ? Again...a little understanding is in order. The gummint was getting a huge amount of cap gains taxes, and the economy was booming. That dried up as he came into office. And, again, we are at war. The whole Iraq/Afghanistan thing wasn't budgeted. But, in the opinion of some worth the money
Like I said before, that one doesn't bother me so much. But given we have these expensive "unbudgeted" items, was another tax cut really in order? Reagan raised taxes when necessary, Bush Sr. did too. Perhaps Bush Jr. is haunted by his father's broken campaign promise.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
9/11 happened (Bush was President at the time, you know, but he was on one of his 1 month vacations)
I guess it's just Clinton's luck that it took them TWO shots to take it down. Because if they got it right the first time you'd be carping about how bad a president Clinton was...or not.

What? No reaction to the misstatement? Or was Tupac lying when he said Bush was on vacation? (We all know from former posts on this forum that no one* ever makes mistakes. If what they said was untrue, it must be a lie.)

Tupac, repeat after me:
Bush takes August off, not September.

*Bonus points for fallout if he notices that no one spells it as one word other than he.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm@Work.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What? No reaction to the misstatement? Or was Tupac lying when he said Bush was on vacation? (We all know from former posts on this forum that no one* ever makes mistakes. If what they said was untrue, it must be a lie.)

Tupac, repeat after me:

*Bonus points for fallout if he notices that no one spells it as one word other than he.
More scrutiny than the State of the Union speech. You must be more upset with Bush than I am.
Bush WAS on vacation when he received the 9/11 Phoenix memo. That's a fact. Now, Bush is taking another 1 month vacation.
Didn't Cheney tell Daschle the administration was too busy fighting a war on terror to answer 9/11 investigators' questions?
Doesn't seem too busy to me.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:00 PM
SOA AAA

It must have been Ken Lay's fault.