Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:28 PM
SOA AAA

That is pretty much the case we have.

But, I'm not all that willing to pay for cooling the downstairs at 70 degrees in order for the upstairs to be 72.
Worse is that the natural air flow from windows (lots of them) already cools the downstairs to 70. It was 68 this morning at 7AM downstairs. Outside it was 64. Upstairs, it was 73, but the issue is bedtime when wife is trying to go to sleep. It was 78 upstairs last night. She says that's too hot.

I'm thinking about moving the floor fan to right in front of the window (only one big window and one smaller one in the adjoining bathroom). It is currently on her side, away from the window. It does not bring in the cool air from outside at its current spot.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM
SOA AAA

And we don't really care how cool it gets in the winter time, but it's never too cool. I set the thermostat for 59 at night, and the heat rarely (twice a winter, maybe) goes on.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
That is pretty much the case we have.

But, I'm not all that willing to pay for cooling the downstairs at 70 degrees in order for the upstairs to be 72.
Worse is that the natural air flow from windows (lots of them) already cools the downstairs to 70. It was 68 this morning at 7AM downstairs. Outside it was 64. Upstairs, it was 73, but the issue is bedtime when wife is trying to go to sleep. It was 78 upstairs last night. She says that's too hot.
That smart blanket I shown you yesterday has a built-in cooler. It also has dual zones temperature control. It can also make your bed in the morning.
https://www.smartduvet.com/
Old 10-03-2017, 03:06 PM
CAS

haven't read through all the thread .

We have wall AC units which we're getting rid of for central, adn also switching from oil to gas for heating. Only 1 zone (too much money to go more).

wondering if i should get a smart thermostat? e.g. nest? what should I consider?

I tried googling "buying a smart thermostat" and all i found were review sites. Not sure if i could google better, but that's why I'm asking all you folks. thoughts?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

The Wirecutter (and Sweet Home) is typically my first stop for most purchases.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-thermostat/
Old 10-03-2017, 04:30 PM
CAS

I guess what I 'm asking, though, is "why buy a smart thermostat over a regular programmable one". What more are you getting besides cool tech. especially in my case where i have only 1 zone.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:40 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
I guess what I 'm asking, though, is "why buy a smart thermostat over a regular programmable one". What more are you getting besides cool tech. especially in my case where i have only 1 zone.
Personally, I use my smart one with my home automation system. The HA system is linked to our phones so it knows when we come and go and adjusts the temp in the house accordingly. This is helpful where programming fails such as holidays off or weekends away. You would just need to decide how useful it is for you.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I've had the ecobee 3 for about a month.

If you want it to be 70 at 6pm, a programmable therm would start to heat your house at 6pm until it gets to 70. or you program it to start doing that at 5:30 so that it has time to get to 70 by 6:00. Smart therm will access the internet to get weather forecast and start heating at 5:52 so it will be 70 by 6:00.

Much more programmable, I seemingly have unlimited number of times to adjust the temp. (my experience with programmable is you get Wake Leave Return Sleep for the weekdays and Wake sleep for the weekends.)

When we are down stairs it uses the temperature at the thermostat to determine the actual temp and decide if in needs to be warmer/cooler. When we are all upstairs it uses the remote sensor as the truth. When we are on both levels it averages the two (more sensors on the way).

Can change the thermostat from smartphone.

Thermostat can determine if we aren't home and set it to away mode, even though the program is set to run.
John 3:16
Old 10-03-2017, 05:18 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
The three main things I see going for smart thermostats are:

1. It learns your schedule, so it programs itself. And it will bring it to the right temperature by the time it is needed, as opposed to a programmable that just changes the target temperature at a certain time.

2. It learns what temperature you like, without having to reprogram. You give it "I'm cold" or "I'm hot" cues, and it figures it out from there. And they can change over time, too. With a programmable, you have to know ahead of time what all the temps that you want to set are.

3. Remote adjustments. Went away for a week and forgot to adjust the thermostat? No problem. Out sledding, and want the house a bit toastier than usual when you get home? No problem.

And I'm not sure how I missed seeing Expunge's post before writing all that.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:45 PM
CAS

Bought the nest last month when I asked the above questions.

It's $169 today, down by $80 http://amzn.to/2iXnWEB