Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 AM

give sparklyr a shot

https://github.com/rstudio/sparklyr
Old 10-13-2017, 06:03 PM
AAA

I wonder if Azure throttles transfers for cheap/demo accounts but exempts published tutorial datasets from throttling.

That aside, it may be appropriate to look at some optimizations. It's easier than you think to implement a task queue that's serviced by multiple threads. This improves performance even if the CPU isn't the bottleneck because you are preventing disk and memory from being idle while a single thread handler is tied up in a CPU intensive section.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Hire some Indians to do it.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:21 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscreteAndDiscreet View Post
I wonder if Azure throttles transfers for cheap/demo accounts but exempts published tutorial datasets from throttling.

That aside, it may be appropriate to look at some optimizations. It's easier than you think to implement a task queue that's serviced by multiple threads. This improves performance even if the CPU isn't the bottleneck because you are preventing disk and memory from being idle while a single thread handler is tied up in a CPU intensive section.
I was able to download at gigabit speed on Azure. I was only able to load about 4 torrents at a time and I also encountered issues where downloading would just suddenly stop. Not sure if it was because of azure or the seeding side.

Decompressing the data took three days. I assigned multiple threads.

Sql ended up just taking way too long. I'm using spark on HDI and it's going really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.