Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 AM
SOA

Studying for AFE
Favorite beer: Heiny
Default Diablo III

It is official now!!

No more guessing! (Even after the obvious buyout of the domain name!)

http://blizzard.com/diablo3

What more with Starcraft2! God, I am having a gaming boner. What an orgasmic cataclysmic gaming mash-up!!

Gotta love Blizzard! I love D3!!!

The witch doctor looks freakin cool. Hopefully they r gonna do a add-on cause 5 characters seem too little to me!

However, now it seems the game is veering towards something like WoW.
Which sucks because I kinda hate WoW. Please, let it stay true to D2...
Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyj View Post
However, now it seems the game is veering towards something like WoW.
Which sucks because I kinda hate WoW. Please, let it stay true to D2...
Um...Diablo was the basis for WoW, so it's no surprise that D3 is going to borrow stuff that WoW has perfected.

To say you love Diablo but hate WoW is pretty stupid IMO
Old 06-29-2008, 10:28 AM
SOA

Studying for AFE
Favorite beer: Heiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Um...Diablo was the basis for WoW, so it's no surprise that D3 is going to borrow stuff that WoW has perfected.

I disagree.

To me, Diablo is a jump-in-hack-and-slash and when you are done, you can just be done with it. The single player mode is also important to me.

Whereas, WoW is definitely multiplayer oriented. The variety is too much (player class, race, profession etc) for my liking. If I really go in, then I guess I' ll be stuck few days reading guides etc.

My main liking for D2 was that I can spend not as much time on the game and yet still enjoy it with friends in a private game.. Not so much in a MMORPG environment.

I know some people swear by WoW. But its just not my cup of tea.. Maybe 'cause I know if I play it , I'll get too addicted and not have a life. Sigh.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
There's not enough action in WOW. It's subscription-based, and there are so many classes that the distinction between them is blurred. There is a mythology, but no cohesive story, and progress is nonlinear; it's nowhere near obvious what you're supposed to do next. Shall I keep going?

It's like saying liking checkers but hating chess is stupid. Unhelpful, uninsightful, and untrue.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyj View Post
I disagree.

To me, Diablo is a jump-in-hack-and-slash and when you are done, you can just be done with it. The single player mode is also important to me.

Whereas, WoW is definitely multiplayer oriented. The variety is too much (player class, race, profession etc) for my liking. If I really go in, then I guess I' ll be stuck few days reading guides etc.

My main liking for D2 was that I can spend not as much time on the game and yet still enjoy it with friends in a private game.. Not so much in a MMORPG environment.

I know some people swear by WoW. But its just not my cup of tea.. Maybe 'cause I know if I play it , I'll get too addicted and not have a life. Sigh.
Okay...so you "hate' WoW because it's all online and it's forced multiplayer? So you just hate MMORPGs in general? If WoW were offline, it would be Diablo. The gameplay/visuals/etc aren't very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek85 View Post
There's not enough action in WOW. It's subscription-based, and there are so many classes that the distinction between them is blurred. There is a mythology, but no cohesive story, and progress is nonlinear; it's nowhere near obvious what you're supposed to do next. Shall I keep going?
Not enough action? You must not have played WoW at all...instance runs are all pretty exciting.

I get the story part...but I think the mythology behind WoW is pretty interesting. You can go through without paying any attention to it (and I'm sure many people do)...

And you're complaining about non-linearality? So you want a game to hold your hand? Man - what fun is that? You are probably the type of guy that buy game guides to help you get through games, huh?

Quote:
It's like saying liking checkers but hating chess is stupid. Unhelpful, uninsightful, and untrue.
Your analogy is wrong. WoW - for all intents and purposes - is Diablo MMO (minus story...which WoW is obviously lifted from the Warcraft world). I would say it's comparing Checkers IRL and Yahoo! Games' Checkers (or online versus IRL poker).

I get online isn't for some people (usually because they are cheap and don't want to pay a fee), but the game is virtually the same.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Okay...so you "hate' WoW because it's all online and it's forced multiplayer? So you just hate MMORPGs in general? If WoW were offline, it would be Diablo. The gameplay/visuals/etc aren't very different.
Just because you lack the sophistication to distinguish between two very different subgenres doesn't make them the same. Action RPGs emphasize labyrinthic exploration and often randomly-generated "floors" (lending itself to a top-down view) while MMORPGs offer free-flowing, open environments and a persistent world. The two franchises look nothing alike; Diablo sports a heavy gothic feel and WarCraft is a cartoonish fantasy.

The former has always been about dealing with insurmountable masses of enemies -- often solo -- fulfilling its hack and slash honorific. The overwhelming odds and the unique circumstances you find yourself in are a natural consequence of the desire to advance the story.

The latter is based on the premise that you need a party to prey on some unsuspecting, vulnerable camp of monsters and buff, rebuff, and re-rebuff them into oblivion until they invariably respawn, at which point you repeat the process, not in the name of veritable progress but in order to exploit the game's elements, capitalizing on its flaws to enhance your character while working toward no apparent end goal.

Quote:
And you're complaining about non-linearality? So you want a game to hold your hand? Man - what fun is that? You are probably the type of guy that buy game guides to help you get through games, huh?
I'm not sure what "linearality" is, but linearity is largely independent of the game's actual difficulty. My point was that WOW is a playground of sorts, providing no compelling reason to move forward and instead relying on the novelty of a metaverse to attract subscribers.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Just because you lack the sophistication to distinguish between two very different subgenres doesn't make them the same.

Action RPGs emphasize labyrinthic exploration and often randomly-generated "floors" (lending itself to a top-down view) while MMORPGs offer free-flowing, open environments and a persistent world. The two franchises look nothing alike; Diablo sports a heavy gothic feel and WarCraft is a cartoonish fantasy.
Distinguish between two sub-genres? Now we have to express the difference between overarching worlds when comparing two games? Final Fantasy and Eternal Sonata are both RPGs that look and feel different, so I guess we shouldn't compare them.

Gothic versus fantasy? Come on...is there really a difference here? i think you are grasping at straws. I guess instead of a "fighting" genre...we can't compare Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Soul Calibur...since one is more "gothic," one is "street fighting," and the other is "weapons based." You're right...these are all completely different, uncomparable games.

Quote:
The former has always been about dealing with insurmountable masses of enemies -- often solo -- fulfilling its hack and slash honorific. The overwhelming odds and the unique circumstances you find yourself in are a natural consequence of the desire to advance the story.

The latter is based on the premise that you need a party to prey on some unsuspecting, vulnerable camp of monsters and buff, rebuff, and re-rebuff them into oblivion until they invariably respawn, at which point you repeat the process, not in the name of veritable progress but in order to exploit the game's elements, capitalizing on its flaws to enhance your character while working toward no apparent end goal.
Playing favorites much? You're telling me there aren't buffs...and rebuffs...and re-rebuffs in Diablo games? There aren't "insurmountable masses of enemies" in WoW? You obviously haven't played both enough that warrant a comparison.

Quote:
I'm not sure what "linearality" is, but linearity is largely independent of the game's actual difficulty.
In terms of smashing buttons as your means to an end, then I guess it's largely independent. But this is the 21st century. Part of the fun of games should be figuring out what to do next, and how to approach it.

So when Diablo 3 comes out, your gonna be the first person with a strategy guide, right?

Quote:
My point was that WOW is a playground of sorts, providing no compelling reason to move forward and instead relying on the novelty of a metaverse to attract subscribers.
From the "more proof you've never played WoW" category - there's plenty of things that make WoW interesting and compelling enough to move forward. There is a ridiculous amount of character customization (not just races/classes...but type of job within a selected class). The world is so large, that you can go up to max level and still not have seen everything. From there (and throughout) - you can run dungeons and have to utlize the skill you've honed in your class, as well as rely on a team to bring down huge bosses.

If you get enjoyment from just pounding on a single button and going from flag to flag, then go nuts. That's boring as hell to me...I'd much rather do a number of other things than bother with that, let alone pay for it.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Gothic versus fantasy? Come on...is there really a difference here? i think you are grasping at straws. I guess instead of a "fighting" genre...we can't compare Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Soul Calibur...since one is more "gothic," one is "street fighting," and the other is "weapons based." You're right...these are all completely different, uncomparable games.
Quote:
If WoW were offline, it would be Diablo. The gameplay/visuals/etc aren't very different.
You said the visuals aren't different. I say they are. Pay attention.

Quote:
From the "more proof you've never played WoW" category - there's plenty of things that make WoW interesting and compelling enough to move forward. There is a ridiculous amount of character customization (not just races/classes...but type of job within a selected class). The world is so large, that you can go up to max level and still not have seen everything. From there (and throughout) - you can run dungeons and have to utlize the skill you've honed in your class, as well as rely on a team to bring down huge bosses.
Hmm. Sounds an awful lot like
Quote:
...enhancing your character while working toward no apparent end goal...
to me. I didn't ask why you like the game, but I'm touched that you think I care. Do you understand what linearity is yet?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
You said the visuals aren't different. I say they are. Pay attention.
They aren't. Play both games and then come back to have a real discussion.

And no one's saying they are the same game. Just that they are very similar. Pay attention.

Quote:
Do you understand what linearity is yet?
Thanks for proving you have no argument here. So I spelled something wrong...like you've never made a typo ever in your life.

I didn't realize I hurt you so much by comparing Diablo to WoW. You are probably one of those people that spent your whole life bashing WoW and WoW Players...only to go home and fire up a game that isn't much different at all.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
CAS

kamek some of the things you are using to describe what wow isn't are exactly what the game is.

it's definitely not a game for everyone, but you don't know too much about it