Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 10-10-2017, 02:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
After month, you'll wish it was a little bigger. And fanny packs are back.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0f22c4a8d054a
Lol, I've had this phone for nearly two years, and I'm still wishing out are a little smaller.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'm feeling both proud and foolish. I dropped my Moto G3 one too many times and the screen cracked. I'd already bought a new battery and charging port quite a while back when the charging port was giving me occasional trouble. So, being a bottom feeder, I bought a new screen and a screen protector to keep the old one together until the new one came. Then I remembered the SD port was also flaking a bit lately, so I bought one of those, too. And I bought one of those precut tape thingies to hold it back together. I ripped it apart and replaced the pieces last night, so now I have a mostly new Moto G3 again.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:39 AM
CAS

Upgraded my Nexus5X to Oreo last night. A bunch of my stock Android apps(Mail, Safari, Camera, etc) now have a white border around them. Googling says it's a feature with adaptive icons or some such. Doesn't seem to be a setting issue. Looks like a launcher will help. Any suggestions on one?
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 10-13-2017, 11:39 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
Upgraded my Nexus5X to Oreo last night. A bunch of my stock Android apps(Mail, Safari, Camera, etc) now have a white border around them. Googling says it's a feature with adaptive icons or some such. Doesn't seem to be a setting issue. Looks like a launcher will help. Any suggestions on one?
Can you download an icon pack and use that with your nexus without changing launchers? You might want to try that first. I love my Nova Launcher, but if you are looking for minimal change this might be the way to go.

There are a LOT of good looking icon packs that look like "normal android icons, just a little different" if that's what you want.
I like icon packs that are more different, my favorites are named "Stealth" (dark background, bright middle) and "min" (small, simple, white icons)

I use Nova Launcher and love it. Action Launcher is also popular, and I've read good reviews on Evie. As far as I can tall these all have similar functions, differences being things like - do you want to open the app drawer by swiping right or not, do you want menus of things on your icons, etc.

The main thing about a launcher is that you can switch away from it if you want. You are not making a commitment or giving up anything, you can switch back to your nexus launcher, so feel free to play around.

Once you get that loaded, see what icons it gives you or download your own and change them., and play around with the other options.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
Can you download an icon pack and use that with your nexus without changing launchers? You might want to try that first. I love my Nova Launcher, but if you are looking for minimal change this might be the way to go.

There are a LOT of good looking icon packs that look like "normal android icons, just a little different" if that's what you want.
I like icon packs that are more different, my favorites are named "Stealth" (dark background, bright middle) and "min" (small, simple, white icons)

I use Nova Launcher and love it. Action Launcher is also popular, and I've read good reviews on Evie. As far as I can tall these all have similar functions, differences being things like - do you want to open the app drawer by swiping right or not, do you want menus of things on your icons, etc.

The main thing about a launcher is that you can switch away from it if you want. You are not making a commitment or giving up anything, you can switch back to your nexus launcher, so feel free to play around.

Once you get that loaded, see what icons it gives you or download your own and change them., and play around with the other options.
Thanks. I'll do some playing around after exam season (or this week if procrastination strikes).

I just don't want the stupid white border around the 4 or so stock apps I have on my homescreen with minimal effort. I'm fine with them looking different.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 10-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Non-Actuary

+1 for nova
Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Nova here too. I kind of floated around to some different launchers a few years back but kept coming back to Nova because they add the new features (notification dots or whatever comes along next) in the beta very quickly. They are under continuous development. Tons of options for customizing too.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 AM
CAS

Tried nova over the weekend. It still has the same icons, but at least I can round the edges of the icon background. Icon sizes are tiny on the free version. Gonna live with it a bit and see if it'll be good enough. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 AM
SOA

Quote:
Tried nova over the weekend. It still has the same icons, but at least I can round the edges of the icon background. Icon sizes are tiny on the free version. Gonna live with it a bit and see if it'll be good enough. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Try a different icon pack.

1. go to google play store and search for "icon pack"
- Some free ones that look pretty standard to me are "Moonshine", "Belle UI", "Glim" and "pixel icon pack"
- Download one.
2. go to Nova settings
3. click on "look & feel"
4. First item is "icon theme" select that and select the one you just downloaded.
5. If you don't like that one, go to step 1 and repeat

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to make it simple.

then when you are past your exam, you can experiment with some of the quirkier ones, select each individual app to change the icon, etc

Last edited by Woodrow; 10-16-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 10:07 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
With Nova launcher, you can change the icons by downloading icon packs that change the icons. I think the launcher by default uses the default icons. Changing icons is another step that you need to do.