Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:45 AM

Default Hearthstone

This game is going to be huge! If anyone has a beta key and wants to make some $$ then let me know - I'm hooked just watching the streamers.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 AM
SOA

Watched it briefly. Seemed like a quickly played multiplayer strategy game.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM

It's basically Magic the Gathering mixed with World of Warcraft. If anything is more geeky, then I'll be surprised. Looks like a well balanced and fun game, though. I think Blizzard put some serious thought into the game mechanics and it turned out well.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM
SOA AAA

Is it online or physical? I'm not sure I need a money draining hobby or a distraction from studying, but... tempting.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbies View Post
Is it online or physical? I'm not sure I need a money draining hobby or a distraction from studying, but... tempting.
Online, which is one of the greatest things about it. Games last about 10 minutes, can get a match anytime, and in the current beta version there are two options:
(1) arena - basically a sealed deck tournament, if you know what that is. You get a choice of three classes to play, and then draft cards into your deck. The cards are not from your personal collection and everyone you'll be playing against has gone through the same process.

You play games (at your own pace) until you either get 9 wins or 3 losses. If you make it all the way to 9 wins then you get a better prize than if you only had 4 wins when you received your third loss. Current entry fee is $2. Get to 7 wins and you earn back your entry fee plus some.

(2) rated play - you use your cards you own and go for ranking by playing opponents of a similar rating.

So far both options seem fun. The arena is nice because everyone is on a level playing field, and rated play is nice because then you get to really test out your deck. I'm guessing more options will be coming eventually, but I think it's only one week into the beta.

One interesting thing is there is no trading, so it's a collectible card game instead of a trading card game. At first I didn't like that, but it makes sense. Now peeps can't hack into your account and trade away all your stuff. If you get more cards than you need (or want) then you can destroy your cards to receive materials to buy new cards. So if you received a duplicate legendary and you really want a different legendary, then destroy the card you received and you'll be on your way to paying for the one you want.

It will be free to play, but obviously you'll want to buy cards through booster packs.

I played MtG many years ago - right when revised and The Dark were out. I stopped playing a few years later, but always enjoyed those type of strategy games. Hearthstone looks like a perfect substitute.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM
SOA

I heard nothing about this so I googled it. Then I see it's being made by Blizzard. My interest has officially been piqued.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for software developer
College: college of duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Row View Post
Online, which is one of the greatest things about it. Games last about 10 minutes, can get a match anytime, and in the current beta version there are two options:
(1) arena - basically a sealed deck tournament, if you know what that is. You get a choice of three classes to play, and then draft cards into your deck. The cards are not from your personal collection and everyone you'll be playing against has gone through the same process.

You play games (at your own pace) until you either get 9 wins or 3 losses. If you make it all the way to 9 wins then you get a better prize than if you only had 4 wins when you received your third loss. Current entry fee is $2. Get to 7 wins and you earn back your entry fee plus some.

(2) rated play - you use your cards you own and go for ranking by playing opponents of a similar rating.

So far both options seem fun. The arena is nice because everyone is on a level playing field, and rated play is nice because then you get to really test out your deck. I'm guessing more options will be coming eventually, but I think it's only one week into the beta.

One interesting thing is there is no trading, so it's a collectible card game instead of a trading card game. At first I didn't like that, but it makes sense. Now peeps can't hack into your account and trade away all your stuff. If you get more cards than you need (or want) then you can destroy your cards to receive materials to buy new cards. So if you received a duplicate legendary and you really want a different legendary, then destroy the card you received and you'll be on your way to paying for the one you want.

It will be free to play, but obviously you'll want to buy cards through booster packs.

I played MtG many years ago - right when revised and The Dark were out. I stopped playing a few years later, but always enjoyed those type of strategy games. Hearthstone looks like a perfect substitute.
So you are saying you put in real money and can get back real money? very interesting.

"You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures." - Charles C. Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
Does he math good?

I need a geek in the streets but a mathlete in the sheets.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwentum View Post
So you are saying you put in real money and can get back real money? very interesting.
I bet you put real money in and get battle.net credit back. So if you put in $2 to enter the tourney and win $5, then you can only spend the $5 on blizzard stuff...

I think if they let you take money out of the system, they might need an online gambling license? Which is probably illegal in the US. How does it work in MTG:O?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:47 PM

No real $$ back, though I'm guessing there will be tournaments for actual cash prizes eventually.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 PM
SOA AAA

FML.. I wanted to sign up for beta, but I forgot my b.net password, and I can't reset it because it's tied to my old cell phone number which I no longer have