Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:56 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
Is it easy to use the UI if only a few devices are attached and I've configured them appropriately? Are there systems better than ST for UI when integrating only motion sensors and open/closed sensors?
The UI isn't bad for just a few devices, but it can quickly get cluttered when you add SmartApps to react and take action for those devices. If the initial use is just motion and open/closed, then you'll probably be fine because she won't really need to go in the app much at all. You'll set it up and she can just get notifications and have the system respond to her being home automatically.

Supposedly the Wink app is better, but I haven't tried it myself. The good thing about ST is that it's so flexible for developers. A guy whose wife refused to use the app built this: http://www.smarttiles.click as a web-based dashboard that works in any browser. Real easy to set up and configure. Think you can even add your Foscam (maybe Dropcam) to it so you get a live feed or photo snaps.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific automation ideas in mind. I'd suggest browsing their forum too. Great folks over there.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:48 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

I have the Nest Protect installed, will likely put in a Nest thermostat soon too.
I have a preorder in for a Lockitron for my front door and I have several Belkin Wemo devices (two outlets and a switch) to automate various lighting.

The Wemo's have gotten better with newer firmware, but they were a bit of a pain to get setup initially. I have certain lights go on/off automatically based on various cues. One in my bedroom is tied to specific times (which correspond to my alarm and then go off not long after I should be out the door or working. Another is tied to a weather feed for my town and goes on/off based on sunrise/sunset.

Anything that helps make my phone the central hub of control (and control/alerts) for when I'm out of the home is good in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 03-31-2015, 12:55 PM
SOA AAA

Should I ever move to a less safe neighborhood, or should my neighborhood turn unsafe, I might consider some of these.
For now, I'm turning off my lights, turning up (or down) the thermostat, locking doors, etc. when I leave. (Well, the thermostat is pre-set, but in Spring I have to change the settings to A/C temps.)

The ability to hack in to a system that can be accessed from the outside is always there.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:36 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
The ability to hack in to a system that can be accessed from the outside is always there.
Yeah. Breaking in through basement windows is a thief hack that predates smart home technology. That's an arguement that persuaded me to not worry so much about malicious software attacks. If a Nigerian prince knows that my window is open,
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-31-2015, 02:41 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Yeah. Breaking in through basement windows is a thief hack that predates smart home technology. That's an arguement that persuaded me to not worry so much about malicious software attacks. If a Nigerian prince knows that my window is open,

Why hack a single smart home then go to the trouble of getting inside to try and haul away stuff you have to fence? Might as well stay home and steal identities or go right to bank accounts if you're going to bother hacking.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
I'm not worried that a thief would hack my house, I am worried that I would unlock my doors from my phone without meaning to. Like I check to make sure they are locked and hit the wrong button while doing so.

How do they make it both useful and idiot proof?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:01 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
Hmm. Butt unlocking your house is a problem I hadn't considered.

I guess if you're worried about it at a given time, you can just pull out your phone and tell it to lock everything.

Maybe it's just a matter of giving a dumb butt a smart a$$.
I am so sorry. I just couldn't resist.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
What's a "basement"?
Kidding, I grew up in a house with a basement.

But that simply reinforces my point: live in a nicer neighborhood. (Or a more hidden one.)

Also, not having nice stuff is a great deterrant as well.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
Quote:
Hmm. Butt unlocking your house is a problem I hadn't considered.
With most of the locks it's pretty easy and standard to have the lock auto-lock itself after a set time, say 2-15 min. With the fancier ones you could even have the auto-lock time differ based on how you unlocked it: physically at the door, via phone, via PIN, via phone presence, etc...
Old 04-21-2015, 12:04 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Couple of things:
1) There is a Schlage sale on Amazon right now. Got the Schlage Century which was regularly $215, marked down to $173 plus another $36 off. One heck of a deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGK9KJG/
2) Ended up purchasing a bunch of SmartThings stuff: hub, 5x motion sensors, 5x open/close sensors, 2x presence sensors, alarm with strobe.
3) Also picked up a powerline adapter so I can finally run a wireless router out in the garage which is about 50 feet away from the house on the back alley. Needed it since I want to put open/close sensors on the garage doors. The TP Link powerline adapter is $35. I didn't realize they had gotten so cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUICG/

My biggest gripe is that I'll probably be buying the hub now (v1) and then buying it again in 6 months when v2 comes out since I want the video support. But whatever the wife says is what I do...