Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Vercetti View Post
Someone should take that Roomba idea and make a mower too.
doesn't that already exist? There was an article last week about someone getting their panties in a bunch because the "roomba mower" uses radio frequency thingies to set up borders for virtual fences.

Found it: http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/17/tech...r-astronomers/
Old 04-24-2015, 03:40 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
why not just get an automatic sprinkler system? Too expensive? i'm not good with my hands myself, but reasonably able friends of mine did the installation themselves and said it wasn't that hard. And by reasonably able, I mean they learn everything on the fly by watching youtube.
Sprinkler system cost is pretty high. Typically cost about 3G for installation. On-going maintaince cost about 100/yr.

It seem a simple "roomba" approach can water the lawn for a lower price.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:41 PM
CAS

There is also "smart" sprinkler system controller in the market now. Has anyone tried it?
Is it helpful?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I have an older version of the Nelson Traveling Sprinkler, which does not have the Auto shut-off. That thing is not smart enough.
So I looked that up. My friend growing up had one of those 40-some years ago. Things have not gotten any better than that other than an automatic system?

Quote:
why not just get an automatic sprinkler system? Too expensive? i'm not good with my hands myself, but reasonably able friends of mine did the installation themselves and said it wasn't that hard. And by reasonably able, I mean they learn everything on the fly by watching youtube.
I installed one myself. Harder than I wanted it to be but not so difficult that an actuary couldn't do it. Biggest issue I had was that the guy at the plumbing supply store that designed mine seemed to want to maximize the number of trenches I dug and the amount of pipe, joints and turns it had. I took his design home and reworked it and saved myself about $100 on parts and time with the trencher. My biggest problem was our subdivision was in an ancient riverbed so every 6" along every trench there was a rock the size of a baby's head. I wondered if I had somebody come in and filter out all the rocks out of the top foot of my yard I would probably lower the level by about 6". That was the hardest part of the entire thing.

And I know it is possible to get computerized systems that put moisture sensors into the ground so that when you have a big storm, it will automatically turn off the sprinklers until the moisture content of the ground indicates that you need to water again. They have put those systems in a couple parks and the ball field and grass around our church. Though from my experience with it, it is pretty hit and miss with how well it actually works.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:53 PM
SOA AAA

Perhaps a central electronic shutoff for all of a city's parks would do the trick? Storm coming? Turn off the water.

My yard is small but on a steep hill. Irrigation already installed when I bought it.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Okay, I've gotten some smart stuff, installed the minimum for my needs, and here's the update.

Even for my limited use, it's really kinda fun.

It passed the Wife UI test (she uses it).

Having an audible alarm go off when any door/window is opened, or motion is detected, is fairly simple to set up. Once set up, is super simple to arm/disarm.

Most of the SmartThings items now give additional information, such as temperature. Theoretically, you could use it to determine if the temperature changes rapidly and send an alarm if, say, someone smashed the glass in a window instead of opening it. Right now though, for my simple installation, its just kinda gee whiz.

Plenty of expansion potential for geek stuff. I got a remote so that my son could get our attention during the night. Once I installed an IFTTT app, I had my phone turn up the volume if I had muted it, ring, vibrate and flash the display when the remote was used. Once I realized I had to do all of that then for my wife's phone, I just scrapped it and set up the remote to turn a lamp on in our room.

I can also sit at my desk at work and randomly turn my bedroom lamp on and off throughout the day to weird out Mrs. Weasley.

My Foscam is not directly supported by SmartThings, so setup requires learning the tools the supporting community uses to do these things. I haven't taken the time yet to play with that.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 01-10-2016, 10:44 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
This is the main thing I wouldn't want. If I lock my door by hand, it stays locked. If I can lock/unlock it with my phone it could (accidentally or on purpose) get unlocked.

I just want smart outlets or power strips, but they are $45+ for a stupid outlet that has wifi in it. I can't see why they are so expensive, and I keep hoping the price drops.
I get enough butt dials that this seems like a real problem. It's not just the door. I don't want to accidentally turn up the heat, or turn on all the lights, either.
Quote:
Quote:
Sprinkler system cost is pretty high. Typically cost about 3G for installation. On-going maintaince cost about 100/yr.

It seem a simple "roomba" approach can water the lawn for a lower price.
I installed a backyard watering system. I only did the garden and some fruit trees, as I don't like to waste water on grass, but it would have been straightforward to do the lawn. Mine is very simple, I turn the water on and off by hand. But for not a lot more money I could have installed an automatic thing. I bought from "dripworks".

I did some of the digging when the soil was dry, and some when it was wet. Wet was MUCH easier.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:54 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I get enough butt dials that this seems like a real problem. It's not just the door. I don't want to accidentally turn up the heat, or turn on all the lights, either.
Actually, I think you have this sort of backward. If I forget whether the door was locked, I've got to go downstairs/drive back home/etc to check. With the app, I just check from wherever. Plus I have an automation set up that checks if the door is open or close. If it is open for longer then 5 minutes, it sends me a message. If it is closed but not locked, it automatically locks after 30 seconds. Basically, my wife is a worry wart about door locks and she no longer has any concerns that me or our kids have left the door unlocked.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 PM
CAS

Truth be told, I'm not worried about doors at all. We usually leave them unlocked when someone is home, and there are enough of us on irregular enough schedules that that means the doors are usually unlocked. And none of us worries about it. My town has had one murder in the past 50 years, and the husband did it. Pretty much 100% of crime is burglary of empty houses and theft from unlocked cars.

But I don't want to accidentally turn up the heat or turn on all the lights. And on the rare times when we are all away and the house is locked, I'd prefer it stay that way.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:44 PM
SOA AAA

The husband??

Um, not YOUR husband, right?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.