Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 04-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

In case anyone went with Revolv as their home automation tool:

http://www.xda-developers.com/alphab...evolv-devices/
Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 PM
SOA AAA

Looking at heating and cooling thermostats. They seem a bit too expensive at the moment, and my current thermostat works well enough.

I would like a device that can both heat AND cool without my having to manually move a switch for "heat" and "cool," respectively. Because, too cold in the morning, then too warm in the afternoon (on rare days). I want to be able to control the thermostat from my phone (Android).
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
I can also sit at my desk at work and randomly turn my bedroom lamp on and off throughout the day to weird out Mrs. Weasley.
She doesn't like it when you use magic, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I installed a backyard watering system. I only did the garden and some fruit trees, as I don't like to waste water on grass, but it would have been straightforward to do the lawn. Mine is very simple, I turn the water on and off by hand. But for not a lot more money I could have installed an automatic thing. I bought from "dripworks".

I did some of the digging when the soil was dry, and some when it was wet. Wet was MUCH easier.
I get YOU not wanting to waste water on a lawn, but it probably wouldn't have been too much work to finish it off and would probably be a plus when you sell.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:04 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Looking at heating and cooling thermostats. They seem a bit too expensive at the moment, and my current thermostat works well enough.

I would like a device that can both heat AND cool without my having to manually move a switch for "heat" and "cool," respectively. Because, too cold in the morning, then too warm in the afternoon (on rare days). I want to be able to control the thermostat from my phone (Android).
I got the Emerson Sensi, which meets those criteria. It's $107 at Amazon now, and it's very easy to install, your phone walks you through it all.

I also appreciate that it heats/cools automatically, as we get some nice temp swings in CO.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:10 PM
SOA AAA

You have a phone that walks!?!?
Gotta get me one of those...

I'll check it out. I think I have three low-voltage wires in the back of the current (heh-heh) one. So, easy-peasy, except for the mounting.

Hmm, looks like I still have to tell this thermostat whether I want it to heat or to cool, but at least the temperature settings for "heat" and "cool" (and other created settings, like vay-cay) are saved. My current thermostat requires me to set up the whole week (four times of the day for weekdays, and two times of the day for weekends) whenever I need to change from heating to cooling.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 04-06-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Old 04-06-2016, 01:33 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
You have a phone that walks!?!?
Gotta get me one of those...

I'll check it out. I think I have three low-voltage wires in the back of the current (heh-heh) one. So, easy-peasy, except for the mounting.

Hmm, looks like I still have to tell this thermostat whether I want it to heat or to cool, but at least the temperature settings for "heat" and "cool" (and other created settings, like vay-cay) are saved. My current thermostat requires me to set up the whole week (four times of the day for weekdays, and two times of the day for weekends) whenever I need to change from heating to cooling.
You set basically high/low temp bands, and the Sensi will switch from heat to cool automatically. At least mine does.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
In case anyone went with Revolv as their home automation tool:

http://www.xda-developers.com/alphab...evolv-devices/
That really does bring up a whole big issue for the IoT.

Would imagine it will make having a UPS for your house more important in the future.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:58 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

ecobee3

i like...
Old 04-06-2016, 02:10 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
You set basically high/low temp bands, and the Sensi will switch from heat to cool automatically. At least mine does.
Oh. OK. I didn't see that on the amazon description. Might have to go to the local store (OSH) to see one in the flesh.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 AM
CAS

I set up an August Smart Lock tonight. This was my first venture down the smart home path. I think I want to get lights or a Nest next. Then can begin messing with IFTTT recipes. Very excited about the potential of all this!!