Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 PM

Favorite beer: Beer?! Blech. But Dad likes Dortmunder Union.
Default laptop.

I'm working on a project that will require a certain amount of portability and the ability to record high-ish resolution video. Settled on one of two products, both refurbished HP Elitebooks 8470p w/8GB RAM.

The only real difference seems to be that one has 128 GB SSD, the other, 500 GB HD. Obviously 500GB is nothing to write home about. Is 128 GB disastrously small? If not, then the second question is whether the performance difference between SSD and a HD is a real plus.

Please share your thoughts.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:42 PM
CAS

128GB is alright but windows will take up 30 or so and you'll want to keep 10-20% free for performance reasons (might be a legacy issue) so your "effective" space will be closer to 80. If you're not restarting the pc often then I imagine you could get by fine with the HDD unless it's really slow or something. High res video takes up a ton of space though so you might need another external anyway depending on how much you're recording and how often you're offloading.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
128GB is alright but windows will take up 30 or so and you'll want to keep 10-20% free for performance reasons (might be a legacy issue) so your "effective" space will be closer to 80. If you're not restarting the pc often then I imagine you could get by fine with the HDD unless it's really slow or something. High res video takes up a ton of space though so you might need another external anyway depending on how much you're recording and how often you're offloading.
Thanks. M$FT claims 10 GB, but it can't hurt to have a margin. And a quick review of my videos folder says that 10 min of video uses about 25MB to about 75 MB, though I don't know the resolution for these. The other issue is that my face, if reproduced in high fidelity, could cause screens to break worldwide.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:39 PM
SOA

HP often overprices its laptops. A $900-value HP elitebook has similar functions as touch screen Acer or ASUS or Lenovo for $200-$300 less. You do video editing so probably need a dedicated graphics card too.

128 GB SSD is great depends on brand. Samsung is the best and has easy to use data migration software. A new 128 GB SSD only costs $50-$70 and a new 500 GB hard drive costs around $40, but SSD is much faster than 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM hard drives. Hard drives are not difficult to be replaced unless you buy thin Ultrabook with whole unit body.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:55 AM

I'll review. Thanks, w7f.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
HP often overprices its laptops. A $900-value HP elitebook has similar functions as touch screen Acer or ASUS or Lenovo for $200-$300 less.
EB is looking at refurbs, and refurbished HP 8470p Elitebooks sell for under $200.

Quote:
You do video editing so probably need a dedicated graphics card too.
The power of the video card doesn't matter much if the editing is just ordinary stuff like stitching together clips, adding words on the screen, and manipulating sound. But fancy transitions like a rotating 3D video rectangle would benefit from a good video card and software that knows how to utilize the GPU for such effects.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
EB is looking at refurbs, and refurbished HP 8470p Elitebooks sell for under $200.
Interesting. Being lazy and stupid, I only looked on Amazon. Fortunately, I haven't purchased yet.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 AM
CAS

Can you get something with a dual drive? Something to run the os and the project you are working on right now in ssd and a cheap roomy hard drive for completed video? Or an external hard drive?

Also, you need a back up plan.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Can you get something with a dual drive? Something to run the os and the project you are working on right now in ssd and a cheap roomy hard drive for completed video? Or an external hard drive?

Also, you need a back up plan.
Thanks. I was planning to back onto the desktop, presumably with peer-to-peer, and fortuitously, I got Idrive, first year $5.

Last edited by E. Blackadder; 10-03-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Old 10-03-2017, 03:10 PM
CAS AAA

Micro Center near me has an apparently endless inventory of these with various configs at ~$200 and appears to currently be $184.

I've purchased a few and have had no complaints spanning MS suite, streaming, and gaming.