Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Default Duplicate records generated when exporting R forecasts to a SQL Server Table

Dear friends,

Hope you are all doing great. I developed a forecasting model in R from within Microsoft Azure Machine Learning Studio and every time I run the model, forecast results are exported to a SQL Server table.

The problem is, whenever i run the model records get appended with the same records over and over again, thus creating duplicates.

I would like to know if I could prevent that from happening either from SQL Server or from R itself.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Best regards,

Paul
Old 10-12-2017, 02:07 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbernal View Post
Dear friends,

Hope you are all doing great. I developed a forecasting model in R from within Microsoft Azure Machine Learning Studio and every time I run the model, forecast results are exported to a SQL Server table.

The problem is, whenever i run the model records get appended with the same records over and over again, thus creating duplicates.

I would like to know if I could prevent that from happening either from SQL Server or from R itself.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Best regards,

Paul
Do you want to retain the forecasts for each model run, or do you want to just have the output from the most recent run in that table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Do you want to retain the forecasts for each model run, or do you want to just have the output from the most recent run in that table?
Dear friend, what I want to do is only append to the table new dates (that is, information that was not on the table before).

If I already generated forecasts for periods october-2017 to september-2017, if I rerun the forecasts to the same period, Id want those to replace the old ones, and, if there are new months then append the new ones but not append the same records over and over again.

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 PM
SOA

College: UCLA Alumni

Hi Paul,

What package are you using to upload the data to SQL server ('odbc')?

I wonder if the 'odbc' package has a way to only update the new dates. I haven't explored the documentation enough to tell. The other option would be to download the table from the database and do an anti-join on the forecast date with your new table to filter out the ones that already exist. Then you can upload the filtered table only.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:33 AM
SOA

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Espresso

Add a few lines of code to delete the previous records from the SQL server table (if exist) then update the table with the new records.