Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinda View Post
Thanks for Googling for me, hardinda.

I think it's a bit comical that companies like Motorola like to piggy back off of "open" platforms, then impose locks on them. It's funny for at least 2 reasons.

For one thing, open should be open. The Nexus One may be the last pure Android device.

Secondly, the Android community will always find a way around these tricks.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

I just activated my 3rd Moto Droid. This one seems to be doing well. I thought I was caught in a "refurb loop" with Verizon for a little while there. I can't complain about the customer service, though. They waste no time sending replacements.

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 PM
CAS AAA

I have AT&T and think I'm going to buy an Android phone. I just can't jump on the iPhone bandwagon no matter how hard I convince myself it's a good thing.

So I can buy the Motorola Backflip for $49 vs. the HTC Aria for $120 vs. the Samsung Captivate for $200.

Is the Captivate worth paying more? What advantages does it have over the other two? I know nothing about Smartphones as I've been using a Nokia 6102 for the past 3 years.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 AM

Sounds like you are the type that find something that works for you and will keep on using it. Given the rapidly developing Android platform, Samsung Captivate has the best chance to be still up to date and meet your needs for a longer run. For example, Captivate has good enough specs (1GHz cpu) to be included in the next Android upgrade 3.0 which looks like to be the long term date. C has better screen that the other 2 and, any higher resolution than 800x480 on a smart phone with 4" is almost overkill for human eyes. Its better spec allows it to record video at 720P level. I think for an extra $80, I think you will be happier.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Agree with Mojo. Go with the Captivate. The Backflip is entry level and has been around for awhile. The Aria would probably be fine for the next 9-12 months, but if you want something that should be solid for the next 2 years of your contract, go with the Captivate. As Mojo said, it meets the specs required for Android 3.0 which should be your main concern as that is coming out in the next 6-12 months.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinda View Post
When installing Google Voice on the phone, do you tell it to use it for every call? Also, do you have the smallest minute plan available from your provider?
There are four settings: never use GV, ask before calling, international only, and always use.

I've got mine set on international only since I use my regular Sprint number due to Any Mobile Anytime (free calls to any cell phone). Also, my in-laws are in Canada, so it automatically switches to GV for free Canada calling ($0.09 a minute on Sprint's internation plan which is $4 a month or $0.29 a minute without the $4 internation plan).

Also note that if you use the ask me everytime, your Bluetooth won't connect till you confirm what you want to use every time. I wish it had a "remember setting" option so I could use Google Voice for certain people and my Sprint number for others.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM

Studying for A JOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
I just activated my 3rd Moto Droid. This one seems to be doing well. I thought I was caught in a "refurb loop" with Verizon for a little while there. I can't complain about the customer service, though. They waste no time sending replacements.
Got my Droid about a week after release date and I'm on my 3rd as well.

1st was replaced because the headphone port went bad, and the 2nd because something happened to the touchscreen and it went erratic. My 3rd's headphone port is starting to act up as well, so I may need a 4th by the end of the summer. My first replacement they did in the store in about 30-40 minutes, the 2nd (and probably all future replacements) needed to be mailed because they didn't have any in stock.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Studying for A JOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I showed my wife Shazam and she loved that. She has a BlackBerry currently so I make it a point to show her the same things she uses on a BB, only better.
With shazam's most recent update, you really should look at it's competitor SoundHound. It's a paid app, but much more powerful of a tool.

As for other apps not mentioned,

LastPass (paid) -- I can't live without it
TeslaLED is the best flashlight app currently available.
MyBackup Pro (paid) is (I believe) the best backup application (for both Root and non-root). Titanium Backup is for root only and is also good.
ScoreMobile
ADW.Laucher or LauncherPro
Beautiful Widgets (paid)
Pure Grid Calendar Widget, Pure Messenger Widget, Pure Music Widget (all paid)
SleepTimer fades and stops your music after X minutes.
RealCalc Scientific Calculator is what I use instead of the stock calculator. If you need more features consider HandyCalc.
I also prefer EStrongs File Explorer to ASTRO.
There are a few alternate keyboards available, but you should try SwiftKey as it learns from your typing and adapts.. oh and it's free.
xScope -- paid browser alternative
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM
CAS

for those of you who have replaced your devices multiple times due to hardware failures, has there been a cost to you? are these replacements under warranty?

mrs. yoyo and i haven't made the switch to smartphone yet. our att contract is up next april and we'll probably make the switch then. i just can't bring myself to use an iphone and am looking for options.

i gather from this thread that network coverage and performance should be the primary concern. we live in ATL and don't often travel out of the area, so we might be looking for a 4G network.

comments or suggestions for us?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
for those of you who have replaced your devices multiple times due to hardware failures, has there been a cost to you? are these replacements under warranty?
Replacements haven't cost me a cent. I think pretty much all Droids are still under the first year warranty since they didn't show up in the market until last fall. Verizon didn't really even ask me any questions. I just told them what was wrong, and they sent one out asap. Like scotth, my local Verizon stores were out of stock, so they just sent them FedEx. They sent the 2nd one overnight. There's no charge to the customer, and activation is extremely easy.

One other nice thing....when you reactivate a new Droid and go to Android Market, every app you've paid for is sitting there in your Downloads section ready to be downloaded and installed. There is no worry whatsoever about losing paid apps when switching phones.

Free apps do not show in your Downloads, but you can simply go out and download them for free like any other free app.

And of course, all of your Google contact data shows back up within seconds of entering your Google account in the phone again.