Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM

and free SMS, auto-switching calls and cheap international calls too (as good as any calling card)
Old 07-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Favorite beer: Yes

When installing Google Voice on the phone, do you tell it to use it for every call? Also, do you have the smallest minute plan available from your provider?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Studying for nothing!
College: Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinda View Post
When installing Google Voice on the phone, do you tell it to use it for every call? Also, do you have the smallest minute plan available from your provider?
Last I knew, Google Voice didn't include VOIP -- it's just a call forwarding service. I think all calls out from the app are routed through a single number, so if you can arrange it so contacting that number didn't use minutes then all calls through the app wouldn't use minutes. But otherwise all the calls out through the app will use minutes, even if calling some numbers outside the app normally wouldn't use minutes (because within the app you're not calling those numbers directly; instead you're calling the Voice service and they're calling the number). There'd be similar issues with receiving calls via a Google Voice number. So unless you can arrange things carefully you'd still need your minutes.

(Disclaimer: This is all based off of conversations I had a few months back with a friend who uses Google Voice; I haven't used it myself yet, and could have misunderstood.)
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Switching is one of most used Google voice feature. SMS/Voice Mail is the other

Now google voice doesn't offer completely free outgoing (there is a hack getting around that) and it is not VOIP solution(not like Skype or one of the SIP providers). What it really does is act like the old long-distance phone card where you have to dial a phone number to dial out. Except in the case, there is no phone number to call before making the actual call and no pin to remember. Google voice will handle all that for you. You will have a balance with google, that deducts with outgoing calls). Incoming calls are free. And I think calling any US numbers are free. Best way to set up is to use Google voice grab the outgoing international call and let your service provider deal with US calls. (if you are a US resident)

Google is now working on fax ability for Google voice and convert to email.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Love Love Love Love this phone, Droid X ROCKS! gg iPhone!
Woke up this morning with a flicker on the bottom part of my Droid X screen. After some research and a battery pull, factory reset and OTA upgrade ... nothing worked. My new Droid X will be arriving August 4th. Also, doesn't appear that this is an isolated issue with these phones. Part of the fun of jumping on a brand new product.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Woke up this morning with a flicker on the bottom part of my Droid X screen. After some research and a battery pull, factory reset and OTA upgrade ... nothing worked. My new Droid X will be arriving August 4th. Also, doesn't appear that this is an isolated issue with these phones. Part of the fun of jumping on a brand new product.
Thankfully for Motorola they're excused from shipping faulty phones since the full wrath of the tech media is currently aimed at Apple.

There are definitely reports of bad screens on the Droid X. It has given me pause about upgrading. I may sit on the original Moto Droid a bit longer, though I'm about to receive my 2nd replacement (hardware issues). So no one seems to be immune from hardware defects right now.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
bummer
Old 07-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Moto probably jumped the gun on Droid X to keep its momentum going. It better get moving. Dx is also sold out so this could be a big headache for them.

On a happier note, H, Droid X has been rooted and you can enjoy many features the Android public development has cooked up over the past year. Hope it all works out for you in the end.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Moto probably jumped the gun on Droid X to keep its momentum going. It better get moving. Dx is also sold out so this could be a big headache for them.

On a happier note, H, Droid X has been rooted and you can enjoy many features the Android public development has cooked up over the past year. Hope it all works out for you in the end.
Did they figure out a way around the self-bricking thing Motorola (purportedly) put in to dissuade rooting?

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
Did they figure out a way around the self-bricking thing Motorola (purportedly) put in to dissuade rooting?
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-r...news-7570.html