Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2019, 09:53 AM
NerdAlert's Avatar
NerdAlert NerdAlert is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness
Posts: 7,901
Default Misuse of Actuary

Incredibly hypothetical situation, of course.

Say you're aware of someone whose official company title was changed to involve Actuary (yes, with a capital A).

However, they are not and have never been credentialed.

The person who gave them this title IS a credentialed actuary.

What does an Actuary do in this situation?
__________________
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. - Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 AM
Abelian Grape's Avatar
Abelian Grape Abelian Grape is offline
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux
Posts: 42,577
Default

Wear a tuxedo and threaten to beat them up after they leave the office
__________________
1 2 3F MAS-I MAS-II 5 6 7 8 9 OC1 OC2 VEEs CoP

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 AM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 24,095
Default

use air quotes with everything you say to this person
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 AM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Incredibly hypothetical situation, of course.

Say you're aware of someone whose official company title was changed to involve Actuary (yes, with a capital A).

However, they are not and have never been credentialed.

The person who gave them this title IS a credentialed actuary.

What does an Actuary do in this situation?
Report them to the ABCD.

and the police
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 AM
KS6392's Avatar
KS6392 KS6392 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Studying for Exam 9
Posts: 279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Incredibly hypothetical situation, of course.

Say you're aware of someone whose official company title was changed to involve Actuary (yes, with a capital A).

However, they are not and have never been credentialed.

The person who gave them this title IS a credentialed actuary.

What does an Actuary do in this situation?
I didn't think that mattered? I mean there are many Actuarial Analysts out there without credentials.
__________________
ACAS | 7 | 8 | 9
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 AM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
use air quotes with everything you say to this person
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Abelian Grape's Avatar
Abelian Grape Abelian Grape is offline
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux
Posts: 42,577
Default

This credentialed person can't just be willy nilly bestowing this title to commoners.

We demand a trial.
__________________
1 2 3F MAS-I MAS-II 5 6 7 8 9 OC1 OC2 VEEs CoP

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:06 AM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,633
Default

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 AM
NerdAlert's Avatar
NerdAlert NerdAlert is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness
Posts: 7,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS6392 View Post
I didn't think that mattered? I mean there are many Actuarial Analysts out there without credentials.
Actuarial is different from Actuary.
__________________
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. - Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 AM
KS6392's Avatar
KS6392 KS6392 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Studying for Exam 9
Posts: 279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Actuarial is different from Actuary.
Hmm. TIL.
__________________
ACAS | 7 | 8 | 9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.23269 seconds with 9 queries