Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 07-16-2018, 02:22 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

It's so annoying when you are responsible for meeting a deadline but rely on information from others as part of that deadline work. Then those others say "talk to me any time about what you need", yet they are never at their desks and don't respond to your emails. So you get all of the stress, but have no power to do anything about it.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:28 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneGirl View Post
It's so annoying when you are responsible for meeting a deadline but rely on information from others as part of that deadline work. Then those others say "talk to me any time about what you need", yet they are never at their desks and don't respond to your emails. So you get all of the stress, but have no power to do anything about it.
Well, one team I observed with great admiration at a former employer needed many bits of data from many other sources on a regular basis to keep a critical report updated. When it was time for an update, they would send out the schedule to the various departments of what data they owed and when. And then added that "If we don't receive your input by the given date, we will substitute estimated data of (something that would make the lagging department look very, very bad, like using last year's premium so it looked like their area had no growth.) It worked very well.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

my local baseball park had some vandalism. There were like 8 spray painted anarchy symbols (A in a circle) in a bunch of places. Including on the flag (which was of course made to fly upside down).

I assume just young vandals and not actual political activists. this is hardly the venue to get bang for buck on the message. instead it just made the place look like it was messy and we had morans living around us.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
Well, one team I observed with great admiration at a former employer needed many bits of data from many other sources on a regular basis to keep a critical report updated. When it was time for an update, they would send out the schedule to the various departments of what data they owed and when. And then added that "If we don't receive your input by the given date, we will substitute estimated data of (something that would make the lagging department look very, very bad, like using last year's premium so it looked like their area had no growth.) It worked very well.
Be sure to get support from your supervisor first.

One other thing to do is to set an "update deadline" by which they can let you know if there are kinks in the process. Then the day after, you send a note to any lagging areas with a cc to their supervisors about the needed information.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 07-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:

love this!!

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Well, the person I'm waiting on has to attend meetings where this info is presented (and has to answer for it). So honestly, if they don't give me the info, I try to provide what I can to the best of my ability and if they get to the meeting and are shocked by what they see, I will say "you didn't give me anything else!"
Old 07-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Non-Actuary

people who drive through parking lots perpendicular to the aisles with no regard for speed or those of us who are following the arrows.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 AM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

People who have no concept of dates or times.....

Me: "This is due on the 20th."
Them: "Okay, I want to have a meeting about it before we turn it in. Let's meet on the 24th."

Does no one see the problem here??
Old 07-25-2018, 07:40 AM
CAS

Went to get in my car yesterday and some ants had started nesting in the space between the door seals and the bottom of the door. They weren't getting in the car, but were all around the bottom of all 4 doors. WTF. I know from past experience that Windex basically works like bug spray on ants so I gave the doors a liberal dousing. There were still a few stragglers alive this AM but hopefully that's the end of it.

I've never had anything like that happen before. No food was in my car and I never eat in there, and like I said they weren't in the actual car (or at least I saw no evidence inside).
Old 07-25-2018, 11:46 AM

Trannsmission went out on Mrs 68berds car. The kicker is it is under 100k in mileage but is over the 5yr threshold. Boo.

Last edited by sixt8 berd; 07-25-2018 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Apparently the short name for transmission gets censored...