Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: Who is an actuary?
College student taking AS courses 9 2.75%
Actuarial student pre ASA 55 16.82%
ASA taking exams 217 66.36%
Career ASA 218 66.67%
FSA 229 70.03%
FSA with work experience met by having MAAA 218 66.67%
anyone doing actuarial work 67 20.49%
42 29 8.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Bernardin View Post
What would you call an accountant that doesn't have their CPA?
A bad accountant?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Fine-Looking Gnome View Post
You said if you're getting paid to do actuarial work. It's not my fault you don't take the time to fully think through what you post. As another example, nurse practitioners do a lot of the same things doctors do, but they're not doctors.

It's fine that you don't think it matters; I generally disagree, as does basically everyone I have worked with. That doesn't mean anything about the quality of their work, on either the credentialed or non-credentialed side.
next time i see mflg i'm gonna call myself an actuary as much as humanly possible.
Spoiler:
Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 PM

hey mflg, when i meet random people what would you suggest i say i do for a living?
Spoiler:
Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
when i meet people and they ask me what i do, i'm not gonna jump through hoops to avoid the word actuary. come the **** on.

What hoops do you honestly need to jump through? Just use the job title. My job title doesn't even include the word "actuary" and that's what I use unless I am in a situation where it is relevant to point out I am an actuary.

I'm sure most people you talk do don't even care whether you say you are an actuary or not - but I guess you care since you choose to use it when other options are available.

This is the "actuarial" outpost - not the actuary outpost - so you can still post here even if you refrain from calling yourself an actuary.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 PM
AAA

Quote:
You said if you're getting paid to do actuarial work. It's not my fault you don't take the time to fully think through what you post. As another example, nurse practitioners do a lot of the same things doctors do, but they're not doctors.

It's fine that you don't think it matters; I generally disagree, as does basically everyone I have worked with. That doesn't mean anything about the quality of their work, on either the credentialed or non-credentialed side.
Actually very soon, nurse practitioners are going to be required to get their doctorate in nursing, so the new grads will be "doctors".

Not to get into the back and forth and nit pick about words, which we both did.

What do the rest of the people in your company call the people in the actuarial department that are not credentialed? I bet they call them actuaries. I bet some high level person says that the actuaries came up with X reserves. I bet some non-credentialed people worked on that work. So when you say everyone you've worked with disagrees.........
Old 07-03-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post

What hoops do you honestly need to jump through? Just use the job title. My job title doesn't even include the word "actuary" and that's what I use unless I am in a situation where it is relevant to point out I am an actuary.

I'm sure most people you talk do don't even care whether you say you are an actuary or not - but I guess you care since you choose to use it when other options are available.

This is the "actuarial" outpost - not the actuary outpost - so you can still post here even if you refrain from calling yourself an actuary.
i think "actuary" is clearer than my title which starts with a variation of actuary anyway. why the **** would i say my title? my title sounds idiotic to a random person.
Spoiler:
Old 07-03-2015, 10:11 PM
SOA

If someone outside of the profession asks me what I do for a living I say I'm an actuary. But internally I make a distinction between an actuarial student and a credentialed actuary. If someone else in the profession said they're an actuary I would assume they mean they're credentialed.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Bernardin View Post
Actually very soon, nurse practitioners are going to be required to get their doctorate in nursing, so the new grads will be "doctors" soon.

Not to get into the back and forth and nit pick about words, which we both did.

What do the rest of the people in your company call the people in the actuarial department that are not credentialed? I bet they call them actuaries. I bet some high level person says that the actuaries came up with X reserves. I bet some non-credentialed people worked on that work. So when you say everyone you've worked with disagrees.........
I think you are losing the argument if you need to rely on what people in accounting or sales and marketing think

so, a credentialled actuary can say "actuary" instead of their title of super senior vice president of awesome actuarialdom? but i can't?
Spoiler:
SOA

College: University of Minnesota

Quote:
You said if you're getting paid to do actuarial work. It's not my fault you don't take the time to fully think through what you post. I would have to check with family to see whether law school grads who have yet to pass the bar are commonly called lawyers or not.

How is the world of nurse practitioners at all relevant to actuarial work? If you claim to be a doctor or practice medicine you could be sued or arrested.

The same is not true for being an actuary, my opinion on the matter is anyone who wants to call themselves an actuary can call themselves an actuary. Why should one care so much about how someone presents what they do for a living to others?