Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

I'd say that filing a lawsuit over texting in a movie theater actually beats out this guy who called 911 over it in 2013.
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Piercing/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 06-25-2017, 06:53 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

not sure why the byline is "Helsinki" when this has to do with something in Norway...but maybe it's because the story was written or filed from there...anywho...

http://www.startribune.com/printarticle/?id=430666403
Quote:
Norwegians collect money to fix penis-shaped rock formation

• Associated Press
  • June 25, 2017 - 8:58 AM
HELSINKI — Activists are collecting money to repair a penis-shaped rock formation in southern Norway after the popular tourist attraction was found badly damaged.

Joggers discovered Saturday that the Trollpikken rock formation had cracked and noted drilling holes in the rock — something that experts say strongly suggests the rock was deliberately vandalized.

By Sunday, over 500 people had donated nearly 90,000 Norwegian kroner ($10,600) to fix the formation located south of the southern coastal city of Stavanger.

Activist Kjetil Bentsen told public broadcaster NRK that he was convinced the Trollpikken "will be rebuilt" with donated money.

Police are looking for tips to find the person or persons who did it. They could face a one-year prison sentence for a serious environmental crime.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:40 PM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...iSV?li=BBnbfcL

The "Get out of jail free" card is one of the most coveted in the game of Monopoly, but unfortunately for one Minnesota man, it didn't do the trick in real life. The deputy he handed it to ignored the card's instructions, and the man went straight to jail.

It was one of the most bizarre arrests Deputy Mike Vai of the Dakota County Sheriff's Office has experienced in his nearly 4 years on the job.

"It was probably one of the things I will remember most throughout my whole career," Vai told CBS News. "I had a good laugh about the whole thing. I feel like it's something I would try to do."

Vai pulled over a car registered to a woman with an outstanding warrant. He didn't find the suspect, but he run the license of a passenger in the back seat who wasn't wearing a seatbelt. When he discovered the man had an outstanding fifth-degree controlled substance warrant, he asked him to step outside.

That's when the smirking suspect asked the deputy to check his front pocket.

"I thought maybe he's giving me a heads up about a controlled substance right now or maybe it's a dirty Kleenex and joke's on me — now I have a cold," Vai said. His mind was going "a million miles a minute."

He never expected to pull out a Monopoly Chance card.

"Is this what I think it is?" a shocked Vai recalled asking the man.

"Yeah," the suspect said. "I've been carrying it on me ever since I found out there was a warrant — just in case."

But real life isn't quite like a board game.

"I wish," Vai said. "I told him, like, 'God, I want to let you go so bad.'"

But the man did not pass "Go" or collect $200 — he landed in the back of a patrol car and on his way to the precinct. He waited to be transferred to Ramsay County, where the warrant was issued.

Before he left, Vai asked the man if he could take a picture of the card. It ended up on the department's Facebook page.

We appreciate the humor! Deputy Vai arrested a gentleman this weekend on an outstanding warrant. He carried this Monopoly card just in case. "A" for effort!

Posted by Dakota County Sheriff's Office on Monday, June 26, 2017
Hundreds of people saw the post and dozens commented, applauding the suspect for his effort.

Though he wanted to keep the card as a souvenir, Vai ended up giving it back.

"I said, 'Who knows? God forbid you might find a cooler cop,'" Vai joked.

Vai said the man is currently awaiting a court date and owed a couple thousand dollars in bail. It's unclear if he's out of jail.

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...iSV?li=BBnbfcL

The "Get out of jail free" card is one of the most coveted in the game of Monopoly
No it isn't. It's worth $50 at best.

Give me a $200 bank error in my favour, or advancing to certain tiles at the right time.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/st...161132513.html
Quote:
About 2 p.m. Wednesday, a contractor got trapped inside a Corpus Christi Bank of America branch while changing a lock inside a room that connects to the drive-through ATM machine.

“He leaves his phone in his truck, he's installing a new lock on the door, and he gets locked inside the building where the ATM is,” said Corpus Christi Police Senior Officer Richard Olden to Corpus Christi television station KRIS.

With no way out, the repairman turned to the ATM for help.

Customers were using the machine to make withdrawals so he started slipping notes through the receipt slot saying ,”Please Help. I'm stuck in here, and I don't have my phone. Please call my boss,” according to police.

One person took the pleas seriously and called police. But Olden told the Corpus Christi television station they intially thought it was a prank.
(Story seems a little weird, wouldn't he tell them to tell branch personnel first? But seems to be legit.)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/st...161132513.html
(Story seems a little weird, wouldn't he tell them to tell branch personnel first? But seems to be legit.)

The boss is likely the best starting point for this request as the boss can confirm that the person was sent to *that* bank for the job being described.

Since there's no foul play, no need to go straight to the police.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 07-13-2017, 01:53 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

could be there was no physical branch or not open at the time.

I would have called cops, just to avoid any possibility that it is a hoax or scam of some sort
Old 07-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
could be there was no physical branch or not open at the time.

I would have called cops, just to avoid any possibility that it is a hoax or scam of some sort
ITA that the recipient of the note should call the police . . . but the asking to have his boss called (rather than the police) will tip it off that there is no foul play in progress.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 07-13-2017, 02:07 PM

In the video, it says the branch was being remodeled, which is why it was not open