Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:00 PM

Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay
That's cool, but I believe the expression is "passtime" not pasttime, as in to pass the time. As long as we are nitpicking.
Just checked www.m-w.com, and we're both wrong. It's "pastime". I tried both of our spellings just in case.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:09 PM

Favorite beer: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force Majeure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay
That's cool, but I believe the expression is "passtime" not pasttime, as in to pass the time. As long as we are nitpicking.
Just checked www.m-w.com, and we're both wrong. It's "pastime". I tried both of our spellings just in case.
see post #50.... you're just too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
Quote:
I was pretty tired when I watched it, so I guess that just slipped by.

And OF COURSE I'm nitpicking a fantasy/sci-fi show. It's a favorite pasttime of nerds everywhere!
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/pasttime.html
Old 09-29-2006, 04:24 PM

My fault on the typo...
Old 09-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Volsfan

Quote:
Yep. This will be a regular thing - encore presentations on Sci-Fi later in the week.

And I just have to say, the mangled hand looked fake and grody! Eew, Eew, Eew! (And that's just stupid anyway. I mean why wouldn't she know to turn it off first? Also, I've accidentally dropped a ring into the disposal before - it jams the disposal.)
Plus her threshold for pain must be through the roof. Even with the wolverine powers, I still wouldn't want to go through the pain of jumping off a building or caught on fire.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

Watching the typical show like this, I'm left thinking,

"Why don't you idiots shoot first and talk later?"

Much like the villain will want to explain his plot to the spy before killing him, the good guy will want to expose the flaw in the evil agent. All that ever happens is that they get away.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan View Post
Quote:
Yep. This will be a regular thing - encore presentations on Sci-Fi later in the week.

And I just have to say, the mangled hand looked fake and grody! Eew, Eew, Eew! (And that's just stupid anyway. I mean why wouldn't she know to turn it off first? Also, I've accidentally dropped a ring into the disposal before - it jams the disposal.)
Plus her threshold for pain must be through the roof. Even with the wolverine powers, I still wouldn't want to go through the pain of jumping off a building or caught on fire.
I almost want to say that she doesn't feel pain since she doesn't seem to have agonizing expressions. She probably feels a certain level of agitation but not to the extent of pain.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:59 PM

Question:

Spoiler:
The professor's neighbor, that girl with short hair. Did she give her name? I thought her expression was a little strange... I want to say she's a spy pretending to be the professor (senior)'s friend so she can get information off of professor junior? Anyone thought the same?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 AM

by the way, I really like this show. It is certainly more gory than Lost (which premiers on Wednesday!) .. ewww...
Old 10-03-2006, 08:58 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatshepsut View Post
Question:

Spoiler:
The professor's neighbor, that girl with short hair. Did she give her name? I thought her expression was a little strange... I want to say she's a spy pretending to be the professor (senior)'s friend so she can get information off of professor junior? Anyone thought the same?
it did occur to me
different spoiler, only spoilered in case people haven't watched yesterday's show yet
Spoiler:
I noticed that one of the artists paintings that was just a wavy line with straight lines off of it, appeared in the scrolling code that Mohinder Suresh found on the thumb drive. then in the next scene, the same pattern was seen in the pool in LA. odd

speaking on LA, just before arresting the cop, the woman says IN HER HEAD "just like you heard the whispers" to which the cop says "Yes"....then she arrests him. Seems to be contradictory to someone being crazy if they just heard/saw proof that the person could indeed read your mind.

very interesting that the dad now knows about his daughter and that both brothers can in fact fly.

we know the date of the bomb (Nov. 8th - anyone have an exam that day?, lol) and that the current date is October 2nd. Seems like it would almost be better as a mini series unless it turns into a terminator situation of well, all we can do is delay judgement day as opposed to stop it from ever happening. or it could turn into saving the world and then being a justice league type thing, but that might be a let down.

and last but not least Sylar. a brain stealing/eating? freak possibly deriving his power from it. And he knew the professor AND the professor may have helped him seek out his powers.

I do love this show, but I almost think it would be better as a miniseries. I could see material quickly running out, but then again, who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 10-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Tybo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatshepsut View Post
Question:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
That's not a bad theory, the "exterminator" was being used so that the prof's son would trust the girl with short hair. She did say her name when they first met, but I don't recall what it was.