Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:45 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post

Hm I think there's two main challenges in platting a game. Do you have the skill to actually beat the game, and does the game hold your attention long enough to plat it. Bloodborne is a hard game for sure, and platting requires you to fight very hard bosses in really unfavorable circumstances. Lots of failure involved. But the game itself trains you well for it, and if you enjoy the game (I love it) you'll get there. It's not tedious, it's just very difficult and frustrating at times.

Other games may not be as difficult from a gaming perspective, but I would be bored of AC long before I hunt down every scrap collectible needed for plat.

BTW, you should play bloodborne. It was the reason why I bought a PS4. No regrets.
Totally agree -- with the proviso that there are also cheapy plats that are super easy AND super fast (like 15 minutes). You feel dirty after you get one, but it still counts!

I may even own Bloodborne, so I'll check it out. Ori and the Blind Forest was like that -- super hard, but you are taught new skills as you progress, and they all fit. The hardest "fight" (more of a platforming challenge than a fight, but you could die) is about halfway through. I literally died 200x. Once you get through that, it's still hard, but it gets easier. And that's one of my favorite games of all time.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:32 PM
CAS AAA

College: New York University

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
The CAS sure does have a lot of provincial folks.

No global vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
The CAS is very US-Centric. That could hurt them long-term.
In a lot of ways, the CAS struggles globally mostly due to too few members. However....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I thought merging would be bad for our international reputation. We'd just be the other English-speaking society that's trying to compete with your local society. As we are, we can offer P&C expertise to other actuarial organizations and help them develop local expertise, without being in direct competition with them as a credential society.
Peppermint Patty hit the nail on the head. I posted as such in the "Stranger as One" thread prior to the vote. I am a US expat working in the UK and have volunteered extensively on the CAS side in the international arena. I count my vote strongly against the merger.

As a joint P&C-Life society, we would compete and lose in most of Asia and Europe. As a P&C only society, we make reasonable inroads thru our collaborative model. I think a strong argument could be made that we would be "Stronger as One" in Latin America and Africa but that is quite an uncertain future for some pretty obvious downsides now.

Gabriel
Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySchoop View Post
"Outside US and Canada" disagreed most strongly.
This surprised me a lot, since I expected these people to be more familiar with the IFOA structure, and in some cases be FCAS-through-mutual-recognition who have their FIA.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
This may also be related to only 149 people outside U.S./Canada answered that question. In looking at the earlier demographic question, about 385 people outside U.S./Canada took the survey, and only 149 of them answered the reaction question ... think there may be a built-in skewing of the result
Good point
Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
This may also be related to only 149 people outside U.S./Canada answered that question. In looking at the earlier demographic question, about 385 people outside U.S./Canada took the survey, and only 149 of them answered the reaction question ... think there may be a built-in skewing of the result
We need someone who can help us unskew those polls

imo
Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

LinkedIn Profile
Old 12-05-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
This surprised me a lot, since I expected these people to be more familiar with the IFOA structure, and in some cases be FCAS-through-mutual-recognition who have their FIA.
People outside the US/Canada/UK do tend to be more familiar with UK style products and regulations due to UK ruling most of the world in the past.
Being from SE Asia myself this is definitely true for me.

However, this does not quite translate to familiarity with the IFOA structure. We know about it enough to know that those who study in UK universities get to, ahem... cheat, sorry, exempt their way through a large chunk of the exams.

Studying in local universities, in almost all cases, we get diddly squat in terms of exemptions.

Come graduation time, which would employers prefer? The graduate from a UK uni with 8/9 exemptions under his belt or the local grad with zero exemptions?

To get on an equal footing, we start taking the actuarial exams in uni. We do shy away from the UK exams for two reasons:
1) Cost. This is the main reason. The IFOA demands a student membership fee for the privilege of being allowed to register for exams.

2) I guess you could call it pride. Why would I want to slog through exams knowing that my counterparts graduating from UK unis get a free pass through those exact same exams?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:32 AM
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitive Tangerine View Post
you can plat if you want to, but it'll leave your studies behind
cause exams don't plat, and if they don't plat