Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Lewis-Clark State College
Default Alternative Internships

Hello,

My name is Chase and I'm new here. I am a Mathematics major at a small college in a small Idaho city. I understand that it is difficult to find an entry level actuarial job without an internship/experience, and as you can probably guess there are no insurance companies anywhere near me. The closest I've seen are in Seattle which is about five hours away from my city. Are there any other types of internships I should look into for experience? My college has a Business division that offers internships, but I think they are mostly in marketing and accounting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 PM

Of course actuarial internships are the best for becoming an actuary, but anything from the Business division, especially if related to finance, accounting, or data would be great. In the insurance industry or even broader financial services (banks, asset management, etc) would be better than not.

Also, you should be trying for the actuarial internships in Seattle and elsewhere - most will pay for at least part of living expenses, so it's not a bad deal financially and should be a great experience, plus that's really the best way to get an actuarial position.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Thank you for your reply, Westley. I wasn't aware that any company would help pay for my living expenses. I will have to keep an eye out for any posts I come across on the job websites.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 PM
CAS SOA

College: State

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmurph3 View Post
Thank you for your reply, Westley. I wasn't aware that any company would help pay for my living expenses. I will have to keep an eye out for any posts I come across on the job websites.
You're not really in a position to be picky honestly. Paying housing expenses for a summer, if required, will be worth having an actuarial internship on your resume if you would like to become an actuary.

FWIW, the places where I did summer internships paid for the interns' housing. Some companies will put you in a university's student housing for the summer months. Others will recommend a few places for you. Some will just give you a stipend. Finally, some will actually research an apartment complex and put up all the interns in the same complex, including assigning you a roommate.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:42 AM
Non-Actuary

Hi, extroverted actuary, and thank you for your reply. Wow! I don't think I've ever heard of an company being that generous to their interns. I've done two internships in town (non actuary related) and they didn't pay anything. One of them actually cost me quite a bit to do.

I don't think I would be picky at all, I just wasn't aware that companies would offer any help to their interns in the way you described. That gives me some hope!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:46 AM
CAS

Yikes, two unpaid internships. Love yourself more.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Yikes, two unpaid internships. Love yourself more.
Meh, unpaid internships are the norm for most non-STEM majors. Lots of these are just temp-work fillers that colleges arrange so that students can get some work experience on their resume. Nothing wrong with that IMO, but yes an actuarial internship should def be paid and if non-local, then housing support is more the norm than not (not that you should turn down one without housing support).
Old 02-14-2018, 01:37 AM
SOA

What year are you?

Most large companies finished their recruiting (usually last from Sept to end of Oct for summer internships ... i know... very early, but that's how they roll). You still have opportunities to intern at either 1) smaller companies or 2) any companies that had interns back out or have extra positions to fill.

Search on indeed, and be flexible on location... even if they don't pay for housing, $10 an hour (worst case scenario) is enough to still finish the internship with a net income above 0 (unless you're living in nyc, seattle, or san francisco). It's worth it for the experience in my opinion.

I tend to be in favor of students interning in places they haven't been to. It's a good opportunity to check out a city that you've never really visited without making a major commitment (you're there for 10 weeks, and if you hate it... well you're only there for 10 weeks)!

oh yeah and plan on leaving idaho if you plan on entering this career (unless you get lucky and find a job there).

Last edited by royevans; 02-14-2018 at 01:52 AM..

Tags
actuary job, alts, career advice, internships