Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 01-12-2019, 04:21 PM
SOA

Default Just Passed Fall 2018 Core - Should I take ADV or take SPEC and wait for Changes?

Title is self explanatory. Will the syllabus and content of the exam change much once it's split into two parts between DP and FV in Fall 2019? I understand that I will have to take one half of each of the new exams.

But if the content is changing a lot and I would have to learn a ton of new material in the event of a fail, I think I might just sit for Specialty instead for Spring 2019.

If the Material Is going to be almost the exact same I think I just want to power through Advanced and get it done.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:09 PM
SOA

I'm in the same boat and decided to take the spring sitting. Not really concerned about the exam changes as much as the possibility of losing my Core pass if I don't get Advanced by the end of the transition period. So I think its best to go for it asap.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

My (admittedly low confidence) understanding is that current exams are A1+A2 and B1+B2. The new exams will be A1+B1 and A2+B2; the transitional exams will be A1+A2 and B1+B2 (so basically, they are transposing the current exams to better align, and offering transposed transposed exams during the transition period).

If that is the case, the syllabus should be similar, but I'd also like to know if other people have this impression).

(And if you read this, what material do you suggest for Advanced?)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.ac View Post
(And if you read this, what material do you suggest for Advanced?)
I just passed it with MATE, my co-worker did it with TIA. Both are high quality products IMO.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda21 View Post
Title is self explanatory. Will the syllabus and content of the exam change much once it's split into two parts between DP and FV in Fall 2019? I understand that I will have to take one half of each of the new exams.

But if the content is changing a lot and I would have to learn a ton of new material in the event of a fail, I think I might just sit for Specialty instead for Spring 2019.

If the Material Is going to be almost the exact same I think I just want to power through Advanced and get it done.
I think nobody knows what syllabus will be for Fall 2019 Adv exam.
but perhaps TIA author or Mark Bird knows some detail not public yet.
I am in the same boat, I think I will just go for Adv rather than Specialty for spring 2019 even though the spring is busy work season. My employer doesn't allow us to switch to a diff exam if one exam has already been sit, so if I fail my specialty for spring 2019, then I would need to stick to it for Fall 2019 which is not what I want as I already have Core in pocket and want to get adv credit too before the transition period ends.
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
SOA

College: LSU - '14
Favorite beer: Well's Banana Bread

I agree. Go for ADV if you already have Core. Transition period isn't a killer but I'd be fine avoiding it. I'd rather not have to take an exam over a 2 day period.