Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old Today, 07:20 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6
College: UC Berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
So I heard that if you're a doctor and join the military, you become commissioned as a captain, major, or colonel or something.

Well, I think that's pretty high up for just starting out. If a battle were to start going on, would they be able to start commanding grunts and even lieutenants and captains with more combat experience on what to shoot at and stuff?
It's true that if a doctor has significant experience or specialized knowledge, they would start out at higher rank, but they would mainly be working in a military hospital, not out in the field. In my battalion there were two doctors, both captains, who would see patients themselves but were also in charge of the enlisted corpsmen.
Old Today, 09:36 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I found this interesting thing:
https://www.historylearningsite.co.u...and-structure/

but so far nothing about the lower command structure. I'll keep looking. I'd appreciate any links if you have them.
I think command philosophy might be a better search phrase.

And the American force did have more "modern" equipment available, but not everyone had the "latest & greatest".
Old Today, 09:46 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Duff

It is true. Upon graduation from school, MD or DDS will be commissioned to captain the first year. Many experienced physicians signed up after 911. My wife happened to go to the same boot camp with them. She saw one old guy (in 50's) was commissioned to Lt Col because he is a well-known surgeon. One RN (probably chief nurse) became a Major right away too.

I don't think they will give you Colonel right away though.

Last edited by GreenPea; Today at 09:50 AM..
Old Today, 10:44 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for life
College: Several, teacher and student
Favorite beer: I like milk (2% preferred).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
:glower:
Fixed. Thanks.
Old Today, 11:11 AM

I was in the military and if any officer started giving orders to lower ranking people they would be bound to follow them. Now with that being always true these lower ranking people report up to a higher ranking person where it wouldn't take long for this to be sorted out.

As an example a colonel doctor could start ordering around random enlisted guys for no apparent reason. The enlisted guys would probably do as their told because it is way safer for them. They would talk about it to their chain of command. It wouldn't take long to get to a general who wouldn't be happy about a colonel doctor going on a power trip.

It is technically possible to give orders to anyone outside your chain of command. If you don't have a really good reason it could go badly for you.
Old Today, 02:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paro View Post
I was in the military and if any officer started giving orders to lower ranking people they would be bound to follow them. Now with that being always true these lower ranking people report up to a higher ranking person where it wouldn't take long for this to be sorted out.

As an example a colonel doctor could start ordering around random enlisted guys for no apparent reason. The enlisted guys would probably do as their told because it is way safer for them. They would talk about it to their chain of command. It wouldn't take long to get to a general who wouldn't be happy about a colonel doctor going on a power trip.

It is technically possible to give orders to anyone outside your chain of command. If you don't have a really good reason it could go badly for you.
Huh. TIL

Anyway, it's certainly not the norm for doctors to order enlisted men around just because the doctors are officers. That would be bizarre behavior, from what I understand.
Old Today, 02:08 PM
CAS

Doctors are people too and just as subject to having power trips as anyone else given rank.

The enlisted that "did as they were told" are most likely doing it out of respect for their own chain-of-command and will let them hear about what took place.
Old Today, 02:10 PM
CAS

On a related note:

When I was in basic training, toward the end, our drill sergeant was giving us a briefing of what to expect over the last week of training.

At that time, some newbs for the next training cycle were starting to "fill in" the barracks on the other side of the wall of where we were having our session with the DS.

The DS gave his hat (symbol of his authority) and told one of us to go over and set them straight. Needless to say, hilarity ensued on our part hearing the mortification of the newbs getting chewed out by a private wearing the DS hat!