Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Brachowitz View Post
This happened on 8/6. I (and many other AAA members I work with) are finding out about it on 9/8. Was this discussed on the AO prior to yesterday? Obviously the AAA has made no effort to communicate to its members, many of whom will probably soon be former members.
Bruce posted about it the day he filed the suit. That thread was removed for the holiday weekend. His OP about the suit was included in the Academy's response they filed. As for anything sooner, I was not aware, I am not an Academy member.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 AM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

I don't know anything about the Sanford issue but I would agree to ignore the prior conviction if it were a drunk and disorderly or petty vandalism but should we be so quick to dismiss "assault with a dangerous weapon while demanding property". I'm no lawyer but that sounds pretty serious to me.

The Academy hasn't been as forthright and transparent as they should be but I don't think the board is comprised of petty politicians. These are men and women that are successful in their careers and volunteer to help the profession. I find it hard to believe that so many of them would get caught up in petty politics.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 AM

Studying for Life

Quote:
This happened on 8/6. I (and many other AAA members I work with) are finding out about it on 9/8. Was this discussed on the AO prior to yesterday? Obviously the AAA has made no effort to communicate to its members, many of whom will probably soon be former members.
Not if they want to keep signing opinions.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I don't know anything about the Sanford issue but I would agree to ignore the prior conviction if it were a drunk and disorderly or petty vandalism but should we be so quick to dismiss "assault with a dangerous weapon while demanding property". I'm no lawyer but that sounds pretty serious to me.
If the state of NJ can dismiss it, then I'm willing to dismiss it too.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Studying for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
If the state of NJ can dismiss it, then I'm willing to dismiss it too.
I might as well but not so quickly and with so little information.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I can get by just fine with FSA/EA. I think I might.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
It is unfortunate you don't know the rules regarding SAOs.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Natioanl Underwriter mentioned it on August 28.
http://www.lifeandhealthinsurancenew...Fill-Slot.aspx

There is an AO post on it as well.
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=173952
Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 AM

One question I have is if the conviction was expunged, and this means what tbakos says, then why would Bruce be impacted by a change in the rules that disqualified felons from AAA membership? The NYT implies that he would have been. (Quite possibly the NYT is wrong, but you never know.)
Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 AM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactuary View Post
Note the very different tones and cc lists. The first is critical but cordial. And it takes a substantially professional approach to a dispute. It probably took some time to write. Most of us try to spend some time composing things for our customers and colleagues and would probably take an extra effot when asking them to do something they did not want to do.

{I can guess that a phone call or prior e-mails had preceded this. But it is the earliest I have.}

The second is blasted back at Hartman by Bruce 75 minutes later. Bruce has an anger management problem that most AOers never see. What follows is a crack in that smooth veneer.

You will recognize the "foolish" quote from the Times article. You can also see unwarrented sarcasm (Maybe I missed that), borderline rudeness (stay out of it), smartass attitude (the foolish sentence) and a clear threat (in the reference to the Code of Professional Conduct). This is what some call Bruce's style weaknesses. But some AOers may recognize it as barely suppressed rage. It reads like an angry AO post. Maybe that's the problem. Hmmm...

The "you can never see the evidence ... " is a wishful fantasy. It seems that the NY Times just waltzed into the Court House and said "what've you got on Sanford v. Schobel and the SOA. How smart is that? For Bruce to say the arbitrators were wrong and I am right and you'll never see the evidence that the arbitrators ruled against me on. And it turns out that an AOer found the whole docket online in a matter of minutes after AP posted the title of the action. Apparently you can all go into a room in the court house and see all the evidence you like. The old SOA motto suggests substituting facts for impressions (or whatever) which means reading the original rather than a Bakos spin job. Remember that Bruce knows all that evidence and that Bakos is effectively working for Bruce.

As Steven Colbert says "Get to know a district." How about "Get to know Bruce and all the evidence you want."

I can sort of imagine how Bruce felt when he discovered that Cook Fortress was open for business and TRANSPARENT inquiry. Long live transparency. The real stuff.
I think, certainly, you (whoever you are) are entitled to an opinion and entitled to voice it.

However, I trust that the actuaries on this site (and there is ample evidence that my trust is well placed) have more honor and integrity than to let your anonymous diatribe ruin a perfectly good day.

I am sure they are mostly convinced that you have missed the most important issue here - the membership's lack of control of a very important professional organization in the U.S. In fact, they may also mostly agree that the leadership of what we all hope continues to be an esteemed and well respected profession has also lost control.

You, in my opinion, are a good example of everything that is currently wrong with our profession. No one with honor, integrity, and confidence in their points of view would argue them from the dark shadow of anonymity. And, no one in their right mind should give opinions so stated even a nevermind.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010

Tags
aaa, bruce schobel